[SOLVED] Memory 16GB (7.96GB usable)

Jan 6, 2019
I am having issues with a motherboard recently what I assume is dual channel support issues (This board is only a few months old as the previous died on me). In windows 10 64, the system used to read 16GB of memory, and recently I noticed it says 16GB (7.96GB usable). I have tried all BIOS versions and all updates out there. I have checked the windows max memory and made sure it is unchecked.

When I install only 1 4GB stick it will read the full 4GB but anything in dual channel it is cut in half. I have tried to enable XMP memory in the BIOS and it will not boot. Other than that I am not able to adjust memory Voltage or timings. Also CPU-Z shows all stick perfectly so this has me stumped.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

AMD FX 8320
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P v2.0
4 x 4GB 1866 G.SKILL Sniper Series

Solution
Make sure all memory modules seated properly.

If still having issues remove modules and check memory slots for any sign of damage, dust or debris in the slots.

If still having problems, then remove CPU and check it and its socket carefully for any damage, missing or bent pins, dust, dirt or debris on or among the pins/pads.

If OK, then remount CPU carefully and evenly. Uneven mounting of CPU can cause loss of pin/pad contact leading to all sorts of problems.
Make sure all memory modules seated properly.

If still having issues remove modules and check memory slots for any sign of damage, dust or debris in the slots.

If still having problems, then remove CPU and check it and its socket carefully for any damage, missing or bent pins, dust, dirt or debris on or among the pins/pads.

If OK, then remount CPU carefully and evenly. Uneven mounting of CPU can cause loss of pin/pad contact leading to all sorts of problems.

Solution