memory allocation problem

xenon6543

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
My girlfriend has a acer laptop. For the first year and and a half it was fine, but we've noticed that a large amount of memory has gone missing from the ram. From 256 to 192mb. The reason we noticed is that a game she used to play on the laptop would not run because of the amount of ram was under the min spec. I was told thats its been allocated to something else, probably the graphics as its built in. Is there a way to recover it , put it back so it shows 256mb again??

Also the dvd drive has started to play up, when u put a dvd into the drive the laptop recognises theres a disk in there as the cursor shows the hour glass, but no icon comes up under 'my computer' and if u try and click on it it freezes.

Any help appreciated.

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
You can do it from the bios, you obviously cant take it ALL back.. you may be able to take it down to 4mb or so allocated to the graphics.

xenon6543

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
The bios wont work, she has never been into the bios since she had it, but when i tried there was a password on it.. and for a fact she didnt set one..weird. Why did the memory go in the first place?..it wasnt like that before.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The bios wont work, she has never been into the bios since she had it, but when i tried there was a password on it.. and for a fact she didnt set one..weird. Why did the memory go in the first place?..it wasnt like that before.

Having an Acer laptop myself, and selling them where I work, I can tell you there is only one way through this. Call Acer customer service and tell them your problem. They will answer you to send it to them through carrier. They'll then remove the pasword protection from it and send it back to you. Total time, about 2 to 3 weeks.

I know because on one display model, some ass**le put a password on the model so we couldn't boot at all past the "insert CD to continue" or something like this.

Good luck!

P.S.: You might just want to add memory depending on the cost of sending it back to Acer. With 1GB DDR2 SODIMM module at around 50$, it might be much less then the other option. Just food for thought.

Go to www.crucial.com and go to the memory configurator page (something like it). From there they'll tell you what option, with cost associated, are available to upgrade your memory. I got my 512MB Acer laptop up to 2GB about 3 months ago, all below 150$ shipping included. Price went down since then.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
My girlfriend has a acer laptop. For the first year and and a half it was fine, but we've noticed that a large amount of memory has gone missing from the ram. From 256 to 192mb. The reason we noticed is that a game she used to play on the laptop would not run because of the amount of ram was under the min spec. I was told thats its been allocated to something else, probably the graphics as its built in. Is there a way to recover it , put it back so it shows 256mb again??

Also the dvd drive has started to play up, when u put a dvd into the drive the laptop recognises theres a disk in there as the cursor shows the hour glass, but no icon comes up under 'my computer' and if u try and click on it it freezes.

Any help appreciated.

I would recommend adding more rams. You can get them really cheap.