Memory amount and Layout Question

MrJameZtown

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Building my new rig around i7 3930 and 64gig card, not sure which one yet. I will be running 3 monitors, doing video editing/rendering and would like the option of working/recording one video while the other is rendering. For example recording ps3 gameplay while video is rendering. I will be messing with photoshop as well. Also will be using computer for many applications at once, heavy outlook 8-10 accounts, streaming netflix, etc. I will NOT be doing an online gaming with my computer.

I want to be able to multitask and with memory really not that expensive I don't mind putting 32gigs if it is worth it, and 16 is the lowest I will consider.

My question is this, should I go 8 x 4 gig sticks, or should I go 4x 8 gig sticks.

I will be using h100 cpu cooler so clearance is not an issue. However I do want to run the blue led kingston memory fan, will this work with other brands or should I get the kingston Hyper X.

Since it will not be used for gaming, is 1600 mhz good?

Solution
memory speeds don't impact gaming as much as other programs. If you research on toms in the memory section they go through a number of benchmarks to how you it.

If your board maxes out at 64gb then go with whats cheaper. If you can install 128 max then go with the 4 x 8.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
memory speeds don't impact gaming as much as other programs. If you research on toms in the memory section they go through a number of benchmarks to how you it.

If your board maxes out at 64gb then go with whats cheaper. If you can install 128 max then go with the 4 x 8.

Solution