[SOLVED] Memory and A320m-k

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
Hello there! I am having trouble understanding how I will put my ram in my A320M-K. My 2 8gb tam sticks are arriving later on the day and I am still having some trouble understanding how would I put the ram(slots). I read the manual but still dont understand.

Best Regards,

Nonkii

4745454b

Titan
You're running the ram a bit slower than needed. According to the SPD tab at 3000MHz you should be running 15-17-17-35. (At 1.35v) According to the memory tab you are running at 16-17-17-35. At unknown voltage. Try moving CAS from 16 down to 15. Otherwise it's looking correct. If it's not stable at CAS 15 make sure you are at 1.35v and not 1.2.

Reactions: Nonkii

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
You're running the ram a bit slower than needed. According to the SPD tab at 3000MHz you should be running 15-17-17-35. (At 1.35v) According to the memory tab you are running at 16-17-17-35. At unknown voltage. Try moving CAS from 16 down to 15. Otherwise it's looking correct. If it's not stable at CAS 15 make sure you are at 1.35v and not 1.2.
I'll try that after I am done eating!;)

Edit: And what about the Cycle time? One is at 35 and other is at 36. Do I change that?

Edit 2: I apologize for too many edit but just curious. This will barely affect perfoemsnce correct?

Last edited:

4745454b

Titan

Fairly basic but if you have no clue about any of the numbers I'd start here and start reading.

In addition to standard speed ratings, each RAM module also has a rating for something called timings. This is expressed as a series of four numbers, like 5-5-5-15 or 8-8-8-24...for the sake of brevity, this collection of numbers is generally referred to as “latency.” Latency deals with how fast the RAM module can access its own hardware, and in this specific case, the lower the numbers, the better. Lower latency means faster data access, thus faster data transfer to the CPU, and faster operation of your computer overall...That being said, the differences in latency are so minuscule that unless you’re running industry-level server operations or multiple virtual machines, you’re unlikely to see any real difference between RAM with a higher or lower latency.

A rough rule of thumb I heard eons ago was "for each CAS number you change, you are basically going up or down one step in speed". Meaning in terms of overall bandwidth, CAS 16 3200 is similar to CAS 15 3000. (considering how close 3200 and 3000 are, you might need to go down to 2933, or maybe even 2666. I'm too lazy to do the math and find out.) Who cares if you can get to DDR4-5000 if you have to change the CAS timing to 52? You'll be spending so much time waiting for the line to clear the voltage that you'll negate any increase in bandwidth.

I only pointed out the CAS difference because you asked if it was running right. According to the images you posted it's running slightly slower than it should be. But remember the bolded part from the quote above. Memory benchmarks will show large differences in things. But real world apps won't show much of any difference at all. Faster memory access and bandwidth will speed up your PC, but all the work still needs to be done by the CPU. And while that is happening all that memory speed is sitting idle. I'd try changing it, but if it fails for whatever reason it's not like your PC will be only half as fast as it could.

Reactions: Nonkii

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019

Fairly basic but if you have no clue about any of the numbers I'd start here and start reading.

A rough rule of thumb I heard eons ago was "for each CAS number you change, you are basically going up or down one step in speed". Meaning in terms of overall bandwidth, CAS 16 3200 is similar to CAS 15 3000. (considering how close 3200 and 3000 are, you might need to go down to 2933, or maybe even 2666. I'm too lazy to do the math and find out.) Who cares if you can get to DDR4-5000 if you have to change the CAS timing to 52? You'll be spending so much time waiting for the line to clear the voltage that you'll negate any increase in bandwidth.

I only pointed out the CAS difference because you asked if it was running right. According to the images you posted it's running slightly slower than it should be. But remember the bolded part from the quote above. Memory benchmarks will show large differences in things. But real world apps won't show much of any difference at all. Faster memory access and bandwidth will speed up your PC, but all the work still needs to be done by the CPU. And while that is happening all that memory speed is sitting idle. I'd try changing it, but if it fails for whatever reason it's not like your PC will be only half as fast as it could.
Gotcha! Happy New Year 🎆🎈