Question Memory and overclocking questions

saravanakmr789

Prominent
Sep 5, 2018
I'm about to build my first PC, and have some doubts about ram speeds, please help.

Assuming the processor supports 2400mhz ram, and I have 3200mhz ram, and the motherboard supports 3000mhz ram, what is the best way to use the ram?

1. Is the ram speed limit for motherboard absolute maximum that can be utilised in a pc? If not how do I use faster ram?
  2. To make cpu use higher speed ram than specified, do I overclock the ram, cpu or both?
  3. If the cpu supports 32gb ram and motherboard supports 64gb ram, Can make use of 64gb?
  4. Are all ddr4 Rams compatible with all motherboards that have ddr4 slots, and the respective processors? (Within the memory size in gb that is acceptable)

saravanakmr789

Prominent
Sep 5, 2018
1)use the xmp/docp memory profile in bios, or oc the ram if there option on mobo
2)oc the ram
3)no. memory controller is on the cpu
4)no. amd is picky
Thank you for replying. Can you please clarify further?

1. If I have higher speed ram than the motherboard specifies, won't overclocking the ram increase the speed of ram rather than increase the maximum speed allowed by motherboard?
  2. Similar to 1, if cpu supports only 2400mhz ram, bit if oc the ram, the speed of ram gets increased right? Or will oc-ing the ram make cpu accept the higher speed because of some other reason?

Thanks in advance!

saravanakmr789

Prominent
Sep 5, 2018
You "can" oc the ram to anything.
oc the ram only effect the ram.
Okay I think I wasn't clear. I'm new to PC hardware please bear with me.
I'm talking about the maximum supported ram speed by the Mobo and processor. For example, athlon 200ge supports only upto 2667 ram, so if I have a 3200mhz ram, will oc-ing the processor/ram/both allow me to make use of the speed upto 3200mhz? Same with Mobo. Thanks!