Memory and PF Usage Plateau

chico

Hi,

I've had performance problems for which i've sought help in separate threads
on this site. but i wanted to ask this question in a new thread:

I recently opened Task Manager and just watched it as i did some minor stuff
on my computer (i.e. minimal webbrowsing, a little messaging on MSN), and i
noticed that every few minutes or so my memory usage and PF Usage would shoot
up all of a sudden, stay high for about 30 seconds, and then shoot right down
again (creating a type of "plateau" affect). This didn't seem to be
correlated with anything i was doing on the computer, because, as i
mentioned, i wasn't using any memory-intensive applications. Could this be
indicative of an undetected virus/malware, or something else?

Thanks

If you view running services you'll probably see 35 to 45 active,any of those
can cause the spike,windows update,anti-virus software,etc. any of them
can cause it.

"Chico" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had performance problems for which i've sought help in separate threads
> on this site. but i wanted to ask this question in a new thread:
>
> I recently opened Task Manager and just watched it as i did some minor stuff
> on my computer (i.e. minimal webbrowsing, a little messaging on MSN), and i
> noticed that every few minutes or so my memory usage and PF Usage would shoot
> up all of a sudden, stay high for about 30 seconds, and then shoot right down
> again (creating a type of "plateau" affect). This didn't seem to be
> correlated with anything i was doing on the computer, because, as i
> mentioned, i wasn't using any memory-intensive applications. Could this be
> indicative of an undetected virus/malware, or something else?
>
> Thanks

kelly

Hi Chico,

Depends on many factors. See if this helps:

Run the Task Manager, go to View/Select Columns, and turn on the following
columns: "I/O Read Bytes" and "I/O Write Bytes."

Suggestion: Run the undo on line 367 (right hand side):

SequoiaView:
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview

--

All the Best,