Memory Blue Screen Issues

Elliot_5

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
I have been experiencing many Memory Related issues when trying to install windows 10 causing my computer to blue screen. Some specific issues are system_service_exception and attempted write to read only memory. My PC specs are:

Motherboard: Msi Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA1151
RAM: 2x Gskill Ripjaws V DDR4-3000 8gb (F4-300C15D-16GVR)
GPU: EVGA Geforce Gtx 980 Ti FTW Edition 6gb
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb SSD, WD Black 1TB HDD
Power Supply: Corsair RM 850
Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW (DRW-24B1ST)

I have tested the memory modules with Memtest86 and they came back with no issues.

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by running Windows Update and install all the available updates.
- Next is to install the latest BIOS update that can be downloaded from MSI's Support site.
- Here's the link: http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/7968v16.zip
- If this will not work, do also a clean install of the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the GTX 980 driver.
- Next is to open Programs and Features then uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot your PC once the latest driver has been installed.
- Do observe your PC once done with all these troubleshooting steps.

Elliot_5

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
I am unable to update windows and the drivers because I cannot install Windows and get to the desktop. I occasionally manage to get to the desktop and when I try to install anything or use almost any of the tools, windows crashes.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Have you tried just running with one stick of ram ? It is unlikely both would develop a fault at the same time, so one of them should work. Could also be a single slot on the board has an issue.

Is this a new system ? or has it been running fine then developed a fault while trying to upgrade ?

You say you have tested the ram with memtest but also say you can't get into windows to run windows update. So I find it somewhat confusing. Did you test the sticks in another machine ?

you claim you can get to the desktop sometimes ? so windows is installed ? try safe mode out if possible to update drivers etc..

Elliot_5

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
This is a new machine. The ram was tested on another machine. I have tried testing with 1 stick of ram. If I get to the desktop when I try and do something it crashes, and if it crashes, I can't get back to the desktop again because it will keep crashing when I try to reboot it.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
The only other things left to try IMHO are:
1)Install another OS and see if that works. Windows 7/8 or Linux. If it does then I guess the fault is some windows 10 driver, or your windows 10 media is bad. Re-download the ISO from Microsoft. System_service_exception isnt the most helpful BSOD, and with no dmp file... even less so.
2) Try some different ram, maybe there is some incompatibility. Check your bios/uefi ram settings to make sure speeds and voltages are correct.
3) Suspect a defective motherboard, or ram slot.
4) an outside chance its the SSD and a virtual memory issue.

Thats really all my guesses. Maybe some one else can do better.