That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016
This is not so much a question on how to fix. Considering i literally fixed the problem myself. After buying a new CPU, Motherboard, and PSU. All of which did NOT work.

Apparently 1 of my 2x16 RAM stopped working. Then the computer refused to shut down. I was NOT able to enter windows, or even the BIOS. I thought it was most likely a Motherboard issue, or PSU issue. Which is why i mentioned the abolve information. It turns out the RAM module, that malfunctioned was somehow stopping my computer from shutting off.

I had no idea that such a thing was possible. I never would have thought that 1 of the RAM modules would have malfunctioned, especially considering the way in which the computer stopped working. I was going to even save up to buy a new GPU (i am currently using a GTX 1080), since i thought for sure, that it msut be the GPU. So i just wanted to put this information out there, in case someone else runs into a similar problem in the future (Especially since i have bene helped out many times on toms hardware and other websites, especially from posts which were literally 10 to 20 years old - So hi from the future, i guess?).

Though on a technical analysis. I was wondering if anyone could explain how a faulty RAM module could have caused my computer to NOT enter windows and NOT boot even the BIOS?

Especially since simply removing the 1 RAM module that malfunctioned fixed the issue (after i had already spent $500 on new parts - and another $500 on a new temporary, second hand PC - This is AUD currency).

Side note - I had always thought that the Mothrboard containe din-built RAM for the express purpose of booting into the BIOS if needed. Is this not accurate?

Ralston18

Titan
Corrupted RAM. Corrupted code in Memory,

Code failed and did not do whatever it should have done with respect to shutting Windows down.

What was done to actually cause the system to power down?

Switch off the computer, switch off the PSU, unplug the power cord....?

All of which would certainly bring the system to a full stop and clear RAM making the corrupted RAM moot.

Until the next startup.

Take a look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time that shutdowns failed.

As for the side note: CMOS.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-cmos-2625826

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016
Corrupted RAM. Corrupted code in Memory,

Code failed and did not do whatever it should have done with respect to shutting Windows down.

What was done to actually cause the system to power down?

Switch off the computer, switch off the PSU, unplug the power cord....?

All of which would certainly bring the system to a full stop and clear RAM making the corrupted RAM moot.

Until the next startup.

Take a look in Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer. Either one or both tools may be capturing some error codes, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time that shutdowns failed.

As for the side note: CMOS.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-cmos-2625826
Everytime i pressed the power on button on the case, it would turn on. It would NOT do the reverse though.

I had to press the PSU switch to power off the computer.

When i first removed the ram, 1 of the ram, where the gold plated part is, had a bit of an oily substance along 1 side of it, though not much. I wiped it off. Then used both ram. I had 2x16 Though it still did not work. I tried each individually, and i cannot remember if both or only 1 worked. Though now ia m not sure if it was the ram, or the ram port that was faulty. I tried using 1 ram stick, and it worked for awhile, but then stopped. I think somehow, an oily substance got into thye ram stick slots and damaged either the ram, or slots, or both.

Either way, now i am using a new motherboard and 4x4 ram, ironically from the new PC i bough second hand, to temporarily replace the old PC, which i am now using again.

I doubt that an error code or anything would ahve been captured, since the computer did not even display the bios or anything. Though, i will have to check.

I know of CMOS. Though i have never tried using it. There is no CMOS button on the motherboard side. I think there was some pins that could be used for a CMOS button though.