Memory causing my system not to boot

Dsmith18

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016
Hi, I finished my build last night and had the same problem I'm having now: the PC turns on for about 15 seconds with nothing showing up on the monitor then restarts. my debug LED on the motherboard displayed the error code for "Memory Initialization Error." I fixed this by realizing that I hadn't put my RAM sticks all the way in. Once I rebuilt my build, the code started happening again... The weird thing is that before the problem was happening again I was able to go through the BIOS and install windows 10. I noticed that one of my RAM sticks was sort of hanging out of the socket and assumed that was the problem, however when I reinstalled (making sure it was in all the way) the problem of Memory Initialization Error didn't stop. So now Im sitting here with a broken PC for the second time today. Here are the specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte z170x gaming 5
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
RAM: Ripjaw V series (two 8 gb sticks)
GPU: Asus Strix 1070 OC
PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G2
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
SSD: Samsung 850 evo 500gb

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
does it happen with only one stick inserted?

on what ram slots are you placing the ram modules?

one in the red slot and one in the black? both in black? both in red slot?

the first slot is the red one near the screen, insert only one there and start your pc

if it doesn't boot, then remove that ram module and put the other in that same red slot

if that doesn't work, try with the second slot the black one, one ram module at the time

if that doesn't help, remove battery form mainboard and do the clear cmos procedure, should be on the mainboard manual

if after all that it doens't start, i would return ram and try with another ram module, if with another module stil lwon't boot, mainboard has problems, return it as doa

Dsmith18

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016

It happens every time whether I have both in red, both in black, or using a single stick in every slot. Originally it was working in both of the red slots, which is where Id assume they are supposed to go because the manual labels them as DDR4_1 and DDR4_2.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if you enter bios, you can lower clock speed of those modules, but the system must let you enter there

can you try with another ram module to see if something can be done there?

if not, then, mainboard and/or ram can be faulty

i personally only buy corsair and kingston ram modules latelly

Dsmith18

Reputable
Nov 20, 2016

I don't have any other ram modules available to get into the BIOS, but how was I able to get into the BIOS I had this problem again using the same ram I'm using now??

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
that is why i asked you for another ram module, try to do a bios reset and remove battery to see if the mainboard can boot with at least one ram module, then force the speed you mention to see if that helps

i think it won't help, the mainboard should be capable of downclocking the ram as needed, just as i run a 1866 ram module on a 1333 capable mainboard and a 1333 ram on a 1600 mhz mainboard slot

if you can return both as doa if you can to discard any possible problem, theoretically the mainboard is ok since it reports the ram issues, but that doesn't discard a fake report against the ram modules