[SOLVED] Memory clock speed a lot faster than motherboard support

bentejas10

Reputable
Feb 16, 2017
I have G.Skill Aegis 2x8gb DDR4-3000MHZ sticks and my motherboard is an Asus H170 Pro Gaming.

After having this system for 3 years, I did some digging and realized that my ram is running at 2133MHZ as oppposed to the 3000MHZ. I think my motherboard only supports up to 2133MHZ unfortunately which I think is strange because I bought it not being a barebones motherboard and thought that it would at least be able to run at 3200MHZ but clearly not. Is there anything I can do to change this other than buying a new motherboard or am I SOL?

I already turned on XMP and the speed defaults to the 2133MHZ that was there before. Any help would be greatly appreciated even though there probably is not another solution to this.

Solution
I have G.Skill Aegis 2x8gb DDR4-3000MHZ sticks and my motherboard is an Asus H170 Pro Gaming.

After having this system for 3 years, I did some digging and realized that my ram is running at 2133MHZ as oppposed to the 3000MHZ. I think my motherboard only supports up to 2133MHZ unfortunately which I think is strange because I bought it not being a barebones motherboard and thought that it would at least be able to run at 3200MHZ but clearly not. Is there anything I can do to change this other than buying a new motherboard or am I SOL?

I already turned on XMP and the speed defaults to the 2133MHZ that was there before. Any help would be greatly appreciated even though there probably is not another solution to this.
Your memory...

Your memory speed is limited by both the CPU and the motherboard. 2133MT/s is the max your CPU officially supports. You need a Z 100/200 series motherboard to overclock the ram to 3000MT/s, otherwise you are limited to 2133 because your H170 does not support memory overclocks.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-6600k-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

Solution