Memory compatibility for my motherboard

Oct 6, 2018
Hello i have the motherboard “Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 “whit an am3 amd athlon ii 640 x4 on specs says that “ DDR3 1666+ is supported with combination of AM3 processors and qualified memory modules, please refer "Memory Support List" for detail memory support information.” can i buy some ram bigger then 1333 MHz ? Now I use 2x2gb Kingston but I want to upgrade it at 8gb and bigger MHz .

jwcrellin

Reputable
DDR3 1600 is most common and affordable. You could purchase a 1866mhz kit but it will be more expensive and may only run at 1600mhz anyway. The performance difference between those memory speeds is minimal as well. better off saving your money and just getting a 8gb kit of ddr3 1600 unless you can find 1866 for basically the same price.

jwcrellin

Reputable
Mixing ram brands is risky. I'd say get the 2x4gb kit of ddr3 1600MHz. You can try and install it alongside your current ram to try to get 12gb working. However you may get boot errors from system instability, in which case just remove your 2 2gb sticks and run with the new parts as 8gb total.

Have you gone into your bios to try to adjust your memory frequency? Otherwise it is likely running at a slower default speed.