Memory compatibility Issue

Apr 2, 2018
Hello guys,

So, am trying to build a pc( my first time at it), my query is would CORSAIR DESKTOP RAM VENGEANCE LPX SERIES - 8GB (8GBx1) DDR4 2400MHz RED (CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R) stick be compatible with the following setup:

Motherboard: MSI MOTHERBOARD Z370 GAMING PLUS (INTEL SOCKET 1151/8TH GENERATION CORE SERIES CPU/MAX 64GB DDR4-4000MHZ MEMORY)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-8700K Desktop Processor 6 Core up to 4.7GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W BX80684i78700K

GPU: ZOTAC GRAPHICS CARD PASCAL SERIES - GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 AMP EDITION (ZT-P10600B-10M)

Solution

It would certainly help to get Dual channel when you...

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Agreed with above, definitely go for a dual channel kit... If you are unsure whether a kit is officially supported with your Motherboard, simply check the QVL on the product page. The tested QVL for your Motherboard can be found here > https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-5. Hope this helps! :)

Apr 2, 2018
Thanks for your response, I already ordered that ram(cost me $99), should I buy another stick? and also dual channel memory is very expensive here right now and if I go for it, I will be out of budget

Apr 2, 2018

Is the performance of dual channel memory really significant for it's price? here it's like $300 kit, sadly I ordered the above ram and cannot return it, will it decreace the performance?, I am planning to buy another stick in a month or so, will i have to buy another same stick with same clock speed or different will suffice?
thanks in advance!

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

It would certainly help to get Dual channel when you can, there are many games/applications that it can hold back, but it's not a major concern, i do understand that RAM pricing is terrible right now... When you do buy a new stick though, yeah you'll need one at the same speed otherwise both will run slower. For example if you have a 2400 MHz stick and 3200 MHz stick, both will run at the slowest stick so 2400 MHz in this case.

Solution

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Do need to say that combining sticks of ram that are not from one set can give problems. Sets are sold as that for a reason,they test these sticks to see if they can work together. Could well be that adding another stick goes fine btw.