[SOLVED] memory compatibility problem

nadav8s8kim

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
hello.
i have been having a problem for quite some time\
my brother dose not use his pc any more and he allowed me to pillige it for components :)
i emidiently thoght of his memory becuse i have only 8 gb of ram im my pc
my mother board supports 4 slots of memory so i thoght i could simply put in his memory as well
when i tired to put his memory in my pc and then tried to power it up, it beeped and didnt power on.
i have already tried to pull out this little battery on the mother board to no avail
i have 2X4gb sticks of ddr3 memory with a speed of 1600MHz
and he has 2X4 sticks of ddr3 memory with a speed of 1333MHz.
is it possible to combine to speeds and to brands' what am i doing wrong?
thanks in advanced/
my motherboard is a Gigabyte H97M-D3H
my cpu is a intel core i 7 4790
by brothers ram is a kingston 133dn9/2g 1.5v
i cant find the model of my current memory but this is waht cpu-z maneged to tell me:
DRAM frequency - 798.1
FSB:RAM - 1:6
CAS# latency (CL) - 11 clocks
RAS #to CAS# delay (tRCD) - 11 clocks
RAS# precharge (rRP) - 11 clocks
clcle time (tRAS) - 28 clocks
Row Refresh Cycle time (tRFC) - 208 clocks
command rate - 1T
edit no 1:
i have tired to change my bios settings to mach the 1333MHz clocks (all the other specs including voltage and timings are identical)
i shut down my pc and psu, installed the memory sticks but the pc still reacted the same (it did not boot and it beeped)
the model of the RAM i have installed is "F3-1600C9D-*GAB DDR3 CL9-9-9-24 1.5v)

Last edited:
Solution
Mine is this one G.skill F3-1600C9D-GAB
And its 9-9-9-24

i thoght about setting the speed to 1333 then sutting down, turn the switch on the psu, taking out the littel battey on the motherboard putting the memory the return the battery and power on.
can it work?, should i try it?
I would try 9-9-9-24 at 1333MHz. But do not remove the CMOS battery as that would delete all the changes to your bios if the main power is off also.

RealBeast

Titan
It is possible, but hard to say how likely. You really should list some specs, like your motherboard and the memory model numbers and brands.
With just your 1600MHz sticks in, go into the bios and set the memory speed manually to 1333MHz and set the timings to the slowest of either of the two sets and voltage to the higher of either of the two sets if they differ. Then shutdown, turn off your PSU switch and add the two additional sticks, turn the PSU back on, cross your fingers and power up.

Reactions: nadav8s8kim
When DDR3 wqs new Intel systems used low density "x64" modules "PC RAM". They were new then, but are older tech now. AMD used later DDR3 high density modules "x128" "AMD RAM". They map the memory adresses differently and can't be used together. Some older systems can only use one or the other. Newer systems can all use the newer x128 type. Go to Crucial.com and check what they offer for those 2 systems.
Older low density system manuals won't mention this because the newer RAM didin't exist when they were written.

nadav8s8kim

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
It is possible, but hard to say how likely. You really should list some specs, like your motherboard and the memory model numbers and brands.
With just your 1600MHz sticks in, go into the bios and set the memory speed manually to 1333MHz and set the timings to the slowest of either of the two sets and voltage to the higher of either of the two sets if they differ. Then shutdown, turn off your PSU switch and add the two additional sticks, turn the PSU back on, cross your fingers and power up.

thanks for the answere
me motherboard is a Gigabyte H97M-D3H
i cant say for sure what model of ram i have got installed becuse the sticker on it is wripprd
i aslo dont have a clue what the voltage of the momory i have installed is, and i dont know how to find out how much "timings" these memory sticks have
so if u colud explain it to me i would apricheate it

Last edited:

nadav8s8kim

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
stick with 1 thread
earlyer today i have asked this question about adding ram to my pc. it became quite long and messy so im rewriting it now.
i want to add ram i have lying around to my pc.
when i tired to put his memory in my pc and then tried to power it up, it beeped and didnt power on.
i have already tried to pull out this little battery on the mother board to no avail.
thanks to "realbeast" (thanks by the way even thogh it did not work) i have also tried to change the MHz speed in the bios before trying to put the memory in. (same results)
if some one has any thoghts on this pls let me know.
me specs:
mother board - Gigabyte H97M-D3H (4 memory slots)
cpu - intel core i 7 4790
installed memory - G.skill F3-1600C9D-GAB (1600MHZ DDR3 CL9-9-9-24 1.5v) (2X4GB)
memory i want to add - kingston KVR1333D3N9/2g (1333MHZ DDR3 CL9-9-9-? 1.5v) (2X4GB)
thanks in advanced

RealBeast

Titan
thanks for the answere
me motherboard is a Gigabyte H97M-D3H
i cant say for sure what model of ram i have got installed becuse the sticker on it is wripprd
i aslo dont have a clue what the voltage of the momory i have installed is, and i dont know how to find out how much "timings" these memory sticks have
so if u colud explain it to me i would apricheate it
If his is THIS then the timings are 9-9-9. No way to know what yours are unless you can read a label off of it. You could try running the free version of MEMTEST on yours and see what it reports -- it lists the timings above the test result area.

nadav8s8kim

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
If his is THIS then the timings are 9-9-9. No way to know what yours are unless you can read a label off of it. You could try running the free version of MEMTEST on yours and see what it reports -- it lists the timings above the test result area.
And its 9-9-9-24

i thoght about setting the speed to 1333 then sutting down, turn the switch on the psu, taking out the littel battey on the motherboard putting the memory the return the battery and power on.

RealBeast

Titan
And its 9-9-9-24

I would try 9-9-9-24 at 1333MHz. But do not remove the CMOS battery as that would delete all the changes to your bios if the main power is off also.

Solution

nadav8s8kim

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
That should not be an issue. Either the memory sticks will work together or not -- it's pretty much luck. Modules are only guaranteed to work in sets, so you can only try. Either you get lucky or not.

but i have 2X2 channels of memory
shouldnt they work if they are put in seperate channels? even thoght they are not the same brand and speed?

edit 1:
i have maneged to make it work
i have set the speed to 1333MHz and i swiched the memory slots. meaning my existing memory is now sitting where i had no memory befor and my brothers is in the slots witch were used to be oqupied by my ram.
its running but it reads only 12 gb
i am now checking wather the port is damaged or the memroy stick is.
edit 2:
its reading 12 gb becuse by brothers module is 4 GB
dose any one know thy it worked when i flipped the slots?
thanks in advanced

Last edited: