[SOLVED] Memory Compatibility Question

Monklypomp

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Hi! I'm looking to upgrade my RAM from 16 GB to 32 GB. I already own this RAM here: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231757

But, as you can see, it appears to be out of stock on Newegg (and everywhere else too). However, there is this: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231660

It appears that the specs on both are nearly the same, but with a few differences, like the timings. So I'm just wondering if these are compatible at all, or if I would have to tweak them. Thanks!

Solution
Those kits have different timings, so there is increased potential for them not wanting to "play nice" together. Since they are well within the JEDEC specifications, it is very likely they will work fine together. If they were higher speed memory kits I'd advise not mixing part numbers at ALL, and not even trying to use two different kits of the SAME part number together, but at that speed and timings it is very likely they WILL play nice together. There is however ALWAYS potential for incompatibility even when using the same exact kit model, if you are using two different kits.

Finding a kit with the same speed, timings and voltage requirements would be better though.
Those kits have different timings, so there is increased potential for them not wanting to "play nice" together. Since they are well within the JEDEC specifications, it is very likely they will work fine together. If they were higher speed memory kits I'd advise not mixing part numbers at ALL, and not even trying to use two different kits of the SAME part number together, but at that speed and timings it is very likely they WILL play nice together. There is however ALWAYS potential for incompatibility even when using the same exact kit model, if you are using two different kits.

Finding a kit with the same speed, timings and voltage requirements would be better though.

Reactions: Monklypomp
Solution
No, I'd probably recommend that you stick with the other set of Ripjaws. There is a much higher probability that they use similar ICs (Memory chips) as your existing sticks, or at least higher quality ones actually since they have even lower timings. Those should easily be able to be configured by the motherboard for compatibility with the slower, looser timings of your existing set without too much trouble.

The Ares sticks are more budget oriented and are not AS likely to work with your Ripjaws as another set of similar Ripjaws is. I'd try the Ripjaws first.

Reactions: Monklypomp