Memory Compatibility with Ryzen 2700x. Having Issues which could be down to that. Any Ideas??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2018
Hi All

So I recently bought a AND Ryzen 2700x and an Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming motherboard to upgrade my system. However, since then I've been having issues with the system. The symptoms are that it restarts at random intervals, mouse jitters around the screen and sometimes a full system lockup occurs, meaning I have to force restart it myself. I've taken it to a technician who has run every test he can including mem test for 2 full cycles, CPU stress test for over an hour, power supply test, all HDD and SSDs tested, GPU stress test and all of them came back ok. I sent my GPU away prior to this to the manufacturer who said that it was all ok. I Just received an email saying my motherboard is all ok too. Me and the techie think that my system memory isn't compatible with Ryzen as I'm sure u all know, Ryzen is known to be picky with memory. Do you think that this is the cause since there's nothing that we can come up with that's more likely than that.

Here are the full system specs

Cpu - Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard - Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
RAM - Patriot Viper 2x8GB DDR4-3000, running stock speed 2400.
GPU - Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070 8GB
PSU - Corsair RX750
Cooler - Corsair H110i 280mm AIO
HDD - 1TB Western Digital Blue, 3TB Seagate Barracuda
SSD - 2x 250GB, 1x 500GB
Case - Thermaltake Core P3

Thanks in advance for all your replies.
Any questions, leave them below
Thanks

Nov 30, 2018
Here are the full system specs

Cpu - Ryzen 2700x
Motherboard - Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
RAM - Patriot Viper 2x8GB DDR4-3000, running stock speed 2400.
GPU - Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070 8GB
PSU - Corsair RX750
Cooler - Corsair H110i 280mm AIO
HDD - 1TB Western Digital Blue, 3TB Seagate Barracuda
SSD - 2x 250GB, 1x 500GB
Case - Thermaltake Core P3

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
updated bios? make sure you do.. also make sure your drivers are all up to date..

also what model of the ram do you have.. it can make a difference. (also if you are only running at 2400Mhz the Ryzen CPUs like to run full out at 3000+ (I have Flare X 3200 CL14 ram running at 3400Mhz with an asrock X470 board).. if the DDR was designed for intel CPUs you may have issues..

I would try with different ram.. if you can.. then if not or you really dont want to at least yet.. try with one stick of ram and see what happens.. then if it still has issues.. replace that one stick of ram with the other.. and see what happens.. if still not stable.. try some other ram..

with all the said I had a similar issue before with my computer pre ryzen.. with the corsair HX650 power supply.. I replaced it even though the power supply tests showed it was all working normal.. (had issues with it in my old computer AND when I moved to my new ryzen 1800X system.. it was the only older part I was using (other then the case) so I replaced it and poof all was good... SO if you can try the ram thing but also replace the "maybe" good power supply.. if you can borrow one for testing.. that would be best.. just make sure you have a good one.. I changed over to a EVGA G3 supernova 650W model and its been great..

Nov 30, 2018

Here is the model number for the ram "PV416G300C6K". It isn't on the am4 memory support list that amd published, granted that list is from June last year. I would have to purchase new memory and power supply in order to test but if i can then i will for sure. I tried removing 1 stick then trying etc and it didn't make a difference, the problem was still there.

It may not be on the amd list but patriot themselves brand the ram as ryzen compatible.

I've used patriot viper 4 in maybe half a dozen ryzen 1 based builds since ryzen released on older boards prior to the agesa 1.0.0.6 release which upgraded ram compatibility even further.

I don't see the ram as being the issue at all on a hardware level.

Ryzen 2 & 4** series boards really don't have ram compatibility issues anymore anyway.

Your system is solid, I'd always point to the psu with issues like yours BUT your psu is a rock solid unit in every respect-assuming you mean a rm750x.

I would ask, as you took your pc to a tech who's ran all sorts of tests, why your ram is still not optimised & is running at 2400mhz??

Because as a techie my first port of call would be enabling docp & getting that ram running full speed.

Nov 30, 2018

Yes i did mean rm750x, my bad. I kept it at stock speeds to eliminate any problems with a OC being a problem. I've had it before were i've enabled xmp on memory then the system doesn't like it. So i kept everything at stock speeds to eliminate that possibility. When i get my motherboard returned from the vender, i will boot everything up with xmp enabled and see if it makes a difference.

Nov 30, 2018

Ok. I'll do that once my mb is back and i've got my system built again. It's funny how it enters windows no problems but then after a while it restarts but it's random, no pattern to it whatsoever

Status
Not open for further replies.