[SOLVED] Memory compatibility

Jonsi

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
Hi, I am building a gaming system for my son and I am concerned about the parts I bought.
I have not started yet so it's not too late to return and buy something else.

MB: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming-Plus
RAM: Patriot Steel Series 32GB kit #PVS432G360C8K
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

My question is about the memory compatibility with AMD.
I have read ads for memory saying "Optimized for AMD", etc. Not sure if just marketing hype?
But when I look at the description of this memory on the Patriot site it mentions "Compatibility: Tested on the latest Intel premium/high-end platforms and i7 processors"

Does this mean I should not have bought this memory for an AMD processor ?

Any help is appreciated, thank you !

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Solution
Hey there,

No, it doesn't mean you shouldn't have bought the ram. You are correct, those terms are often just marketing speak.

All you need to do is check the QVL for your mobo, which you can get here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/HelpDesk_QVL/

I can't find that exact part number on the QVL, but it's brethren are on the QVL in 2 x 8gb flavours. This means it highly likely your ram will work fine with that setup. You will just need to set your ram on DOCP (Asus version of XMP) profile.
Hey there,

No, it doesn't mean you shouldn't have bought the ram. You are correct, those terms are often just marketing speak.

All you need to do is check the QVL for your mobo, which you can get here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/HelpDesk_QVL/

I can't find that exact part number on the QVL, but it's brethren are on the QVL in 2 x 8gb flavours. This means it highly likely your ram will work fine with that setup. You will just need to set your ram on DOCP (Asus version of XMP) profile.

Reactions: Jonsi
Solution

Jonsi

Honorable
Oct 7, 2014
Thank you Keith!

Yea, I did check that list and didn't see it either but like you, I saw other kits listed that were pretty close.
That said, I also know sometimes one different digit in a part number can mean a whole lot, so I didn't want to assume anything.

As for the DOCP, I will look into that and if I have more questions I'll get back here and ask.
Admittedly, I have a whole lot to learn about BIOS, XMP, "Clocks", etc. etc. etc.

I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out!

Thank you Keith!

Yea, I did check that list and didn't see it either but like you, I saw other kits listed that were pretty close.
That said, I also know sometimes one different digit in a part number can mean a whole lot, so I didn't want to assume anything.

As for the DOCP, I will look into that and if I have more questions I'll get back here and ask.
Admittedly, I have a whole lot to learn about BIOS, XMP, "Clocks", etc. etc. etc.

I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out!

You're most welcome. If I can be of further help, you can PM if you like.

Happy Festive Period for you and yours!