Memory Conflict???

G

I've got two new build PC's, built around ASUS TULS2-C Mainboards.. Both booted up great on initial boot and ran for a couple of days then crashed and would not install windows of any kind off any disk. After many days of going crazy I finally discovered replacing the 128mb@133mhz RAM (by Micron Technologies) with some old RAM (don't have the specs with me on that here at work) both PC's ran and still run solidly. I purchased the Case, Processor (PIII,1gig), and memory from same supplier. Supplier said others had had this problem with this particular Mainboard and memory, so I have returned the memory and am waiting on replacement. I am currently running 128mb@100mhz in one PC(I believe it is a micron tech. chip) with no problem, but bought a stick of 128mb@133mhz (micron tech.) locally just too see what would happen if I put it in PC no.2 which was running solidly on the old 64mb stick (again don't know the mfacturer of the old chip offhand.) Sure enough it ran fine for about 5 days and began to crash last night and now want enter windows. I am running WXP on these machines and find the diagnostics/repair screens to be useless. Motherboard has an I815EP chipset. Any body have any ideas about why my machines do not like this particular memory? BIOS setting I need to know about??

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
What type of memory are you using. I.E. Non-parity on an parity board? (Does it have an even number of chips or an odd number?)

How did you choose the memory you picked?

What is the amount of RAM displayed at startup? 128 or half of that?

Give some details on the specific sticks of SDRAM you bought.

What are the settings you have set up in the BIOS?

Give some more to us to help you out.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol:

G

I just joined this forum today while at work so don't remember all the particulars of my RAM sticks. So will get all that together when I am at home. For now what I do know:
I didn't choose the memory. My brother had his supplier include the memory with the Motherboard, case and processor that I bought through him. It was 128mb@133mhz manufactured by "Micron Technologies." I'll check the number of chips on the one I bought locally which I believe is the same. It is SDRAM, 168pin, unbuffered, 3.3 volt, non-parity or is supposed to be. The BIOS displays 128mbs of memory @133 mhz. Also 128 displayed on boot screen at startup. What other BIOS settings do you need to know?? Thanx for your reply.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JTJ01 on 11/30/01 02:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Didn't work crashman,, Pulled the 133mhz and replaced with 128@100mhz (Micron Technologies) and all problems cleared up. Just something about that particular (MT) chip and MB that are incompatible. Wish I knew what it was just for the info. I am told that Samsung will work in this board so that will probably be my ultimate solution. Thanx again for the input.

Don't know much but will try anything!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It would be a lot easier to blame the module manufacturer than the chip manufacturer, since Crucial is made by Micron and seems to be the most compatable memory on the market.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Crucial suggested flashing the BIOS. Does it make sense that a brand new MB with a 133FSB would need flashing for a PC133 128MB RAM Module to work in it?? I really don't want to mess with the BIOS unless absolutely necessary. Hope to have my replacement memory in before the week is out. Am looking forward to seeing what happens with it..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I doubt it's the BIOS, I think it's a bad chip, I get my Micron memory from Crucial because they have higher standards than many third-party assemblers.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Thanx again, for your input.. Later Dude, and you ain't gettin a Dell for Christmas because I know you don't want one.. And a "Happy New Year"... Jim