Memory/CPU Potential Compatibility Issues?

Apr 18, 2018
I plan on getting 16 gigs of Patriot Viper LED 3600mHz and overclocking, but apparently 8th gen. Intel CPUs can only handle up to 2666mHz? I know mobos also play a big part in this, but I don't know how. I'm planning on getting the Z370 Taichi from ASRock.

Solution
AFAIK, any CPU has an "official" max - IIRC 6th gen was 2133MHz, 7th was 2400MHz, 8th is 2666MHz.

Beyond that, is technically an overclock. The chipset plays a bit part as far as what can be achieved (B360 etc, is going to cap out at the CPUs rated max)
On a Z board, the chipset/voltage regulation/timings will play the biggest factor. A 3600MHz kit should be verified against either Zx70 or Xx70 on the AMD side. Typically, most of the kits are rated for Intel at least - higher clocks are (relatively) easier to achieve on Intel platforms.

Check the Z370 Taichi boards QVL for kits that have been verified at that kind of speed for guaranteed compatibility, but it should be achievable.... how much beyond 3600MHz will depend on the...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
AFAIK, any CPU has an "official" max - IIRC 6th gen was 2133MHz, 7th was 2400MHz, 8th is 2666MHz.

Beyond that, is technically an overclock. The chipset plays a bit part as far as what can be achieved (B360 etc, is going to cap out at the CPUs rated max)
On a Z board, the chipset/voltage regulation/timings will play the biggest factor. A 3600MHz kit should be verified against either Zx70 or Xx70 on the AMD side. Typically, most of the kits are rated for Intel at least - higher clocks are (relatively) easier to achieve on Intel platforms.

Check the Z370 Taichi boards QVL for kits that have been verified at that kind of speed for guaranteed compatibility, but it should be achievable.... how much beyond 3600MHz will depend on the quality of the chips at it's core.

Solution
Apr 18, 2018

Awesome, thanks.