[Memory] Did my RAM kill my CPU?

onlyzuul

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2012
Processor: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

Intel CPU Specs

Motherboard: EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8 G

tl : dr Intel tech support says my RAM speed was higher than my CPU would support and killed it. I'm just trying to understand the situation so it doesn't happen again, and find out exactly what went wrong.

So my problems all started when I tried to wake my computer up from hibernation mode a few mornings ago. It wouldn't wake up, so I unplugged it and tried again to turn it on. My computer boot-looped, so I started to troubleshoot. I removed non-essential parts and tried to start my computer with just the CPU, motherboard, one stick of ram, mouse/keyboard, monitor, and power-supply, It just boot-looped again. My motherboard has a display that shows hex that relate to error codes. Two codes kept fleshing, "F3" and "F6", I looked in my motherboard manual and the descriptions for the code were unhelpful.

I finally called EVGA about my issue, thinking it's a motherboard issue. After telling the service tech about the situation and the error codes he said it was a CPU issue, So I called Intel. After telling their support my situation, and giving them my computer specs, he said it was because my RAM speed was higher than my CPU could support.

In the end I sent back my CPU to get a replacement and ordered new RAM. New RAM

I've had this rig unchanged for two years and never had a problem. When building the computer I made sure the mobo RAM speed matched the RAM, but never knew that the CPU also had to match.

I'm just trying to understand the situation and make sure it doesn't happen again. Why did my computer break now, and was the RAM speed really and issue?

Thanks in advance for making things clear to me.

Solution
D
The issue is that with the "i" series of processors Intel moved the memory controller over to the CPU from the motherboard where it was in previous generations of chips. So technially running memory over the supported speed ( 1066 for first gen Bloomfield and Nehalem, 1333 for Sandy Bridge and 1600 for Ivy Bridge ) is overclocking the onboard memory controller and Intel's normal warranty does not cover overclocking. I have seen Sandy Bridge warrantys denied for running RAM faster than DDR3 1333. Running RAM over the CPUs accepted voltage also will void the warranty no matter what the motherboard says about compatible RAM as well.

oxford373

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
did you hear (peebs) when you removed all RAM sticks and your graphics card ?
also the default RAM settings for X58 is 1066 that mean what ever the RAM you install, it will work at 1.5v 1066mhz unless you overclock it to its full speed(1600 or more),did you overclock RAM from 1066 to 1600 or not?
all DDR3 1.5v are compatible with all DDR3 motherboards, 1.65V DDR3 are compatible but they aren't recommended and sometimes they burn the CPU.

onlyzuul

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2012
Didn't hear anything, I had pulled the power cord by then, so no power was going to the computer.
I never overclocked my PC, everything was default settings.

all DDR3 1.5v are compatible with all DDR3 motherboards, 1.65V DDR3 are compatible but they aren't recommended and sometimes they burn the CPU.
So you think it was the higher voltage that did it?
The new RAM I ordered is 1.5v, so that should be fine. Someone mentioned that I could under-volt my old 1.65v RAM to 1.5v in the BIOS. So I could try that too.

oxford373

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
did you try to power your PC with all RAM sticks removed?or graphics card removed?
if you heard (peebs) sound after that ,that mean your CPU is still working ,my gigabyte X58-ud4p underclock RAM to 1.5v 1066 unless i overclock it to 1333 or 1600, asus and MSI do the same thing but i am not sure about your motherboard ,and you said you have never overclocked your PC so i think your CPU is still working .
and you can under-volt your RAM sticks to 1.5v and keep them .
finally did you try to clear CMOS by a button at the back of the motherboard or unplug power cable then remove battery for 5 minutes.

onlyzuul

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2012
I tried powering it on with one stick of RAM, no graphics card, and the CPU and it just boot looped.
I never heard any peebs.
I hit the reset CMOS button on my mobo several times, and help it down for a while. I unplugged the power from the mobo, but never took out the battery though.

The Intel and EVGA techs are probably right. Running memory higher than that natively supported by the CPU (or in configurations not natively supported by the CPU) is overclocking and can shorten the lifespan of the CPU. It's rare, but it does happen.

D

Deleted member 217926

The issue is that with the "i" series of processors Intel moved the memory controller over to the CPU from the motherboard where it was in previous generations of chips. So technially running memory over the supported speed ( 1066 for first gen Bloomfield and Nehalem, 1333 for Sandy Bridge and 1600 for Ivy Bridge ) is overclocking the onboard memory controller and Intel's normal warranty does not cover overclocking. I have seen Sandy Bridge warrantys denied for running RAM faster than DDR3 1333. Running RAM over the CPUs accepted voltage also will void the warranty no matter what the motherboard says about compatible RAM as well.

Solution

onlyzuul

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2012
Got my CPU replacement, same as the old one. Got new RAM too.
Same error, F3, F6, 68 boot loop. Called EVGA since at this point it looks like a dead RAM slot issue.
I'm out of warranty so it looks like i'll be needing a new mobo...

oxford373

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
@onlyzuul....i sent E-mail to EVGA support about their RAM default settings for their mother board and this is their answer (ALL of intels iCore processors have an onboard memory controller. So if you have 1600mhz mem and the CPU defualts are only 1066 it will set the mem frequency to 1066. That being said all motherboards regardless of manufacture will have the default settings set to "AUTO" but it does not mean you can not run your memory at its rated frequencies. But that is still considered overclocking due to intels memory controller. That of which we can not give support or tips on. Regards, EVGAÂ)
i told you there is a chance that your CPU still works.

onlyzuul

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2012
Thanks oxford!
Quick update:
I've already received my replacement CPU and new RAM. I've already tried to boot my system with the new partsm but still get the same error as before. I've come to the conclution that the DIMM slots on my mobo are fried. And I have ordered a new mobo.

oxford373

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
your motherboard have 6 RAM slots so try one new RAM stick each time on one of your motherboard RAM slots,i think there should be one of the 6 RAM slots not fried.
i googled and it seems half of people who have EVGA X58 motherboards got the same(F3,F6,F8) error and i found this thread on evga forums,maybe it can help you fix your motherboard.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=369639&mpage=1
the only mistake you did is buying an evga motherboard,so it wasn't your fault at all.

onlyzuul

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2012

I have a new mobo on the way, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188066, and I hope that'll be the end of it. Tired of dealing with the dead one. I think it is simply dead DIMM slots. No reason to suspect bad PSU, since everything else turns on fine.

onlyzuul

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2012
I hear what you're saying. There aren't many mobos with LGA 1366 to choose from anymore. So I thought I'd just go with something I know.

I'm hoping this new mobo will get me through a few more years till I make a new build, when this one stops playing top of the line games as well.

I'll definitely try a new manufacturer with my next build :)

And thanks again for all your input and help :D

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
interesting, is it that the CPU won't run at higher memory clocks? cuz the entire Phenom II family is native with 1333 DDR3, but i'm running 1600 without a hitch and have been for several months now... infact it wasn't until i read somthing about the new FX processors supporting up to 1866...

is that true that the new ivy bridge only support 1600 natively?