woltcher

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
Hello,

I'm having a problem with my system as of late, which caused me quite a headache. I've searched far and wide for an answer but couldn't find it, nor any resolution - so I'm addressing you guys, directly.

Description of the problem: I normally have an MMO opened, where I do stuff in the background + a browser and discord. After a while, at random, the first screen with the game on, goes black - game crashes, the tabs in the browser go out of memory, my audio player pops runtime errors, and my discord bricks up like an android phone with a failed root attempt. The system carries on though, no BSODs with memory dumps, no anything. When I reopen all windows, everything is back to normal. While having both my browser and the game on I reach 10GB usage out of 16GB RAM, so I'm having quite some room available before I'd go out of memory.
Temporary solution: I've found out that it never happens when the task manager is opened. If it's not on, the problem persists. I've tested that for two months already.

The problem started in November, when I've upgraded my GPU from RX460 (backup) to RTX 2060. Of course, I've wiped the previous drivers with DDU in safe mode, installed the new card and installed Nvidia drivers in safe mode. Reinstalling the drivers didn't help, increasing the size of paging file proved of no use as well.

Specs:
MOBO: B450 Aorus Elite
RAM: 2x8GB HyperX Fury Black 2666MHz overclocked to 3000MHz (worked fine before too - if restored to default, the problem persists)
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (not OC'd)
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 6GB Rev.3
PSU: SilentiumPC Vero L2 500W
Drives: M.2 WD SN750 Black (System) 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, WD Blue 2TB, Patriot Burst 256GB.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
You seem to be having an OS issue. Which version of Windows 10 are you on? You might want to also see which BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. Cross-reference the latest BIOS version found on Gigabyte's support site.

How old is the PSU? To add on that note, you should've looked into a more reliable unit like one from Seasonic and with more wattage for your system.

woltcher

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
You seem to be having an OS issue. Which version of Windows 10 are you on? You might want to also see which BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. Cross-reference the latest BIOS version found on Gigabyte's support site.

How old is the PSU? To add on that note, you should've looked into a more reliable unit like one from Seasonic and with more wattage for your system.

Hey, I've performed the BIOS update as well when the problem starting to occur, so I'm on F52, but I can see there were more updates, so I might try that. I'm using that PSU since September 2019. Win 10 version: 18363.1316.

woltcher

Reputable
Apr 13, 2017
I perform malware scans every 2 months, after getting rid of them back in January, the problem's still around. I find it kinda weird though, as running task manager actually stops it from occuring :unsure:

Edit: I'll try updating the BIOS to the newest version and get back with results.