Question Memory error after restarting PC?

Jun 13, 2023
Hello, I have a problem regarding my memory. Since I upgraded from Gskill aegis 16G 3000Mts C16 to the Crucial Ballistix 16G 3200Mts C16 my PC will spill out a memory error with beeps after a restart/reset through the OS or UEFI. Now I tried some things like only using one stick, didnt help. Did a Memtest no errors. I cant figure out what the problem is. My Gskill RAM doesnt have this but the new one does. And it is supported by the Mobo. Does somebody have an idea? Besides this I do not have any problems at all but it is annoying me.

My specs:
AsRock B450m Pro4
Ryzen 5 3600
Crucial Ballistix 16G 3200Mhz
Gigabyte RX 5700XT OC
Samsung 970 Evo
Corsair 650W 80+ Gold

How do you know it is supported by the motherboard? Is it on the Crucial memory advisor list of approved and validated memory kits for your motherboard model? Is it on the Pro4 QVL list for your board?

What is the exact model of the Crucial memory kit you are attempting to use?

What is your current motherboard BIOS version?

WHICH DIMM slots, exactly, are you installing the memory in? Starting at the slot closest to the CPU socket, 1, 2, 3, 4, with 4 being the one closest to the edge of the motherboard, which slots?

Jun 13, 2023
How do you know it is supported by the motherboard? Is it on the Crucial memory advisor list of approved and validated memory kits for your motherboard model? Is it on the Pro4 QVL list for your board?

What is the exact model of the Crucial memory kit you are attempting to use?

What is your current motherboard BIOS version?

WHICH DIMM slots, exactly, are you installing the memory in? Starting at the slot closest to the CPU socket, 1, 2, 3, 4, with 4 being the one closest to the edge of the motherboard, which slots?
The exact Kit (BL2K8G32C16U4BL) is not in the support list however very similar Kits from Crucial Ballistix are on there (e. g. BL16G23C16U4BL, the one stick 16G version). My Motherboard Version is P5.30 which has the note "improved memory compatibility". However with earlier version it had the same problem.
Regarding dimm slots, I tested them all and in all combinations. Currently I am running 2 and 4 (dual channel). It doesnt matter which slot I put them in, the problem stays.

So, you might want to try BIOS version 5.7. They never list all the changes each version has and often they are related to memory compatibility.

I mean, it might just be as simple as not liking that memory kit. Have you put the old memory kit back in to verify that it doesn't have the problem as well. Sometimes even if it worked before, when you go back to it, same problem as the new hardware.

Jun 13, 2023
No the old memory kit doesnt have that problem at all even after switching multiple times. I‘ll try to update to 5.70 though, will reply again.

You might want to try this as well. I've had success with it on a number of systems that didn't want to work with new memory or new graphics cards.

Install the new memory in the A2 and B2 slots. Then do a hard reset of the BIOS as follows. Follow the instructions EXACTLY. Do not deviate in any way. Don't "shortcut" or try using reset CMOS button or jumper. Exactly as below. Yes, we it makes a difference and I have links to about a dozen threads showing that other methods were unsuccessful while the full hard reset method resolved the issue. Not in every case to be sure, but enough times to warrant sticking to what has worked.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the BIOS to fully reset and force recreation of the hardware tables.

Jun 13, 2023
No unfortunately it didnt fix the issue.. I still have to try updating the bios though. Will do that. But thank you for your tutorial, my system is just trash I think..

I don't think your system is trash, since it works fine with the old memory. I think the problem is that you have memory that is simply not compatible with your motherboard. Not all kits, even when they are the right TYPE of memory, work with all boards. And just because the basic specs for a memory kit might SEEM to be similar to another kit that IS on the motherboard's QVL list, does not in any way mean that kit will work with that board or that it actually even IS even remotely close to that kit that is on the list. Hell, Corsair even tends to use different ICs on some of their Vengeance kits while retaining the same model number. So even if the kit is on the QVL, you might get a version of that kit that uses a different set of memory chips (ICs) that the kit that was used to validate the model for the QVL.

Even one letter being different in the model can spell big differences in the composition of the module. Or even if it's the same model, it might not be the same model. LOL.

As seen here:

Jun 13, 2023
Thats not entirely true. With my old kit I had stability issues and had to raise the voltage for it to work properly. Furthermore my pc crashed a lot more than it does now. That is the reason I changed RAM in the first place.

Thats not entirely true. With my old kit I had stability issues and had to raise the voltage for it to work properly. Furthermore my pc crashed a lot more than it does now. That is the reason I changed RAM in the first place.
Ok, well it would have been better if you'd have mentioned that in the beginning. Because all you said was:

My Gskill RAM doesnt have this but the new one does.
So, let's start from the beginning. Please explain, in better detail, EXACTLY what happens including the exact wording and error code of any errors you are encountering, exactly WHEN and WHERE it happens, etc. Also the model of the G.Skill kit so I can check that one to see if it is validated for that board as well.

Have you tried the newer BIOS yet?

TRENDING THREADS