reddog88

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
The problem I'm having is on a freshly built system. I do have a cheapo power supply and mobo which i suspect are the problem and i plan on upgrading ASAP regardless, but I want a few opinions to make sure it isn't something else before I can't return things. I have 2 gigs of corsair 6400cl4 memory and getting the system to boot to windows in the first place is intermitant and when it does prime95 errors imediatly. But with the timings set to SPD settings (5-5-5-12 @1.8v) everything seems to be running fine. When running memtest at rated speeds (4-4-4-12 @2.1v) MANY errors, and at SPD settings not as many, but some. So I know I have some sort of memory or memory bus issue, correct? I noticed that a majority of the errors(not all) were at the same location too if that helps. Is this a definate memory problem or is it most likely a MB/Power supply issue. I'm going to test the memory on my buddies dell system(older p4 or D) cause its the only other DDR2 system i have access to, we'll see how that goes if it works at all. ANY insight would be appreciated, Thanks

BTW system is as follows:
ECS p965t-A <---crap
Core 2 Duo E6600
eVGA 8800gts
2gb corsair 6400cl4
500w Ultra power supply <----I know, I know got it just to get me by TEMPORARILY damn near free

EDIT: Forgot to tell you guys that when running memtest the Northbridge heatsink gets well into the 60s checked with a good temp gun

reddog88

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
In respone to above, i did try that, actually tried everything at 1.8 and 2.1v....after getting home from work did some more tests on individual modules and found that one is bad. Even had errors underclocked to 667 w/5-5-5-15 @2.1v the other ran memtest for 2 hours without a hitch at 800mhz w/4-4-4-12 @2.1v so looks like its RMA time. Hopfully will get a new pair before new years....

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
bump

I have the same issue with my Corsair CM2X512A-6400 C5

currently I'm running it with the stock 430W PSU that came with the case, with 2*14A 12V rail :x

I tried upping the voltage 1.8-2.1V but same issue. In the morning on a fresh start up, the module runs Memtest86+ completely error-free... until 1 hour later :evil:

Can the power supplies be the issue for the RAM module to fail Memtest86+??

Thx in advance.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Can the power supplies be the issue for the RAM module to fail Memtest86+??

Thx in advance.
Yes it can if the PSU is weak or failing. Have you tested the modules 1 at a time withe the timings set manually and the voltage at 2.1v? Also, is your MOBO rated for DDR667 or DDR800. And, can you list all of your settings in the bios you have set for voltages, memory, and CPU.

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Mobo: GA-M55SLI-S4
it supports 400/533/667/800 according to the manual.

I have only 1 RAM module.

everything is set at default w/o any increment for any voltage.

As I mentioned earlier, I tried upping the voltage to 1.9, 2.0, 2.1, but same result.

:?

Mondoman

Splendid
I just wanted to mention (as someone not connected with any memory company) that Corsair does a great job of minimizing the turnaround time when you send in modules to be replaced under the lifetime warranty.

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I've sent my RAM to Corsair for RMA on December 28, does Corsair sent an email to notice me that they've received the RMA??

If you can, can you check the status of my RMA??
RMA#: R216604

Thx in advance :eek:

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Please use the section in this link below to contact customer service. Also, keep in mind that your RMA went in during the holidays. Use the info in the

If you have tried Tech Support Express or On Line RMA Request Form and you did not get a reply with in 24 Hours excluding weekends and holidays, then please send us a email with a copy of the Excel RMA Request form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Warranty@corsairmemory.com. Or please call our customer service at 888-222-4346 and they will take care of you.

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
nvm... it was delivered this afternoon :)

I ran memtest86+ as soon as I got it. It ran for 2hours w/o any errors, I stopped 'cause I had to use the comp :p, I'll run it overnight and post the result later :D

I couldn't believe it was the RAM that caused me so much hassles, despite it being the most expensive component in my computer besides the CPU, everything else are midrange. But again, I alway have bad luck when purchasing electronics. I'm really impressed of Corsair's customer service.

Keep up the good work. :eek:

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
it ran memtest86+ for 6 hours w/o any errors!!! WOOT!!!!

I think you've done your job with this thread :lol:

I would like to thank everyone that helped me troubleshooting the crysis :eek: