[SOLVED] Memory full

Billy62

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
My Local Disk (C:) 525MB free of 111GB.New Volume (D:) 405GB free of 427GB.Seagate Expansion drive (G:) 1.93TB free of 2.72TB.I keep getting a message saying I have low memory with a red line on Local Disk (C:).I have mainly downloaded games installed.Do I have to delete programs with Control Panel-uninstall programs to free space? Does the pc use only the Local disk to store games or can I use the Seagate expansion drive without uninstalling games?

Solution
C is the OS drive. That's where Windows is. When you click on anything like a game or photoshop that's stored on your pc, Windows loads it into a temporary cache. That's what it works from, not the actual stored info.

With your C drive packed solid, there's no room for the cache to load anything, you get an error. It's best if you have at least 10% of that drive free at all times, more is better, just for Windows cache usage.

Some things can be moved/migrated, some cannot and will require a reinstall, but that doesn't include saved game data, which is in a seperate folder to the game folders.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
C is the OS drive. That's where Windows is. When you click on anything like a game or photoshop that's stored on your pc, Windows loads it into a temporary cache. That's what it works from, not the actual stored info.

With your C drive packed solid, there's no room for the cache to load anything, you get an error. It's best if you have at least 10% of that drive free at all times, more is better, just for Windows cache usage.

Some things can be moved/migrated, some cannot and will require a reinstall, but that doesn't include saved game data, which is in a seperate folder to the game folders.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution