[SOLVED] Memory instability Broken CPU or MOBO?

HdtvTh_1

Honorable
Sep 15, 2015
Specs : i5 10600k, gigabyte z490 gaming x, corsair 3600mhz 16gb(2x8)
So recently my system became more and more unstable, can't even watch youtube at 3600mhz XMP, barely play a game at 2800, and will crash in 10-20 minutes even at 2111mhz in something aida64 mem stress test.
After a crash and after some stress i can't even get it to boot at anything higher than 2111, but if i let it cool for like 10 minutes it will boot up at 3600 xmp until it gets worm again and crash.
I also tested each ram slot with a single stick, channel A1 A2 B1 won't boot at 3600mhz, B2 is the only one that always boots up 3600 and seems stable.
Both the CPU and MOBO are still in warranty but i don't know if it's the CPU or MOBO that's broken.
Any opinions?

Solution
1. Check to see if there are bios updates that address ram compatibility or similar issues.

2. Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

3. Are both ram sticks part of the same ram kit, or are they two separate sticks. Mismatched ram can cause instability. in such a case, xmp may not work properly.

4. Because this seems to be a ram issue I doubt that it is the cpu which is very rarely...

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, ,model, wattage, age, condition.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or informational events that precede the crashes.

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both but only one at a time.

Open the window as soon as you boot. Watch what resources are being used and to what extent (%) - especially as the system warms up. Also watch what apps are running. Especially any that you do not recognize or expect to be running. Could be buggy or corrupted and that leads up to some problem - maybe not releasing RAM....

HdtvTh_1

Honorable
Sep 15, 2015
nJoy Titan 600+ 600w, 1 year old
Crashes are not random or rare, i can instantly crash it with anything that uses memory if memory is set above 2800, sometimes it doesn't even boot at all higher than 2800 (xmp is 3600) (i can also crash at 2111 with aida 64 or prime 95, but it takes a while)
Windows is fresh install
And like i've said motherboard slot B2 is fully stable as far as i've tested, while A1 A2 B1 will very rarely boot above 2800 and will crash, so something is physically wrong with either the motherboard or cpu, i'm just trying to figure out which is it.

1. Check to see if there are bios updates that address ram compatibility or similar issues.

2. Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

3. Are both ram sticks part of the same ram kit, or are they two separate sticks. Mismatched ram can cause instability. in such a case, xmp may not work properly.

4. Because this seems to be a ram issue I doubt that it is the cpu which is very rarely defective.
I doubt the motherboard is at fault. If you might have a bent socket pin, you would have hard failure, not inconsistent.

5. If all else fails, specify the ram settings and speed yourself. Sometimes increasing the ram voltage a bit above the xmp spec will make things work.

6. Lastly, your psu is unknown to me. If it is not of good quality that can cause all sorts of hard to diagnose problems.

Solution