[SOLVED] Memory is being used 99% until system locks up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMilitant

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016
Hello everyone, I held off of upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 as long as I could. But 2 days ago I made the upgrade (in place upgrade to 10). I have 16gbs of decent ram and I am performing the same tasks I normally did every day on Windows 7. Run the game I play, run Discord, and run OBS. I have a stream PC so my OBS uses the NDI plugin to send the picture to my stream pc which actually does the streaming. While I am performing these normal basic tasks, my Ram keeps getting higher and higher until its at 99% usage and then I can feel my game start to get more and more choppy until my entire pc locks up and I cannot do anything, not even get to task manager. I am forced to hard reset my pc. I have a I7 4790k @ 4.4ghz and a gtx980 and 16gbs of 2400 ram. I am not sure if Windows 10 is starting some type of update in the background that I dont see? This could be a memory leak? I went through and made sure my C: drive and all other drives have a lot of free space available. My C: drive has over 80gbs of free space. I am not sure what is causing my ram to be used this crazy. I have ran a system test and all my components are fine and recognized. Windows doesn't say I have any pending updates... Doing nothing with just firefox open I'm at over 20% ram usage right now. As soon as I installed Windows 10 I went through and got rid of a lot of bloatware like Cortana. I play a game and get about 20 mins into it and then bam, I feel my pc starting to freeze and it takes another 2 mins and it keeps getting worse and worse until its frozen.

Any ideas of what it could be are much appretiated, I have a GB ethernet throughput LAN settup that I send my NDI plugin (obs) to my other pc. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. Never had issues on windows 7. Thanks in advance.

unknown.png

Reactions: lionlucas
Solution
The first thing I'd do:

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

A lot of systems that are upgraded that were "well used, but not meticulously maintained" will have all sorts of issues show up as Windows 10 was built upon a shaky foundation. Generally a Repair Install (which is nothing but a Feature Update but running the same Version as you already have) will eliminate these in the majority of cases (at least in my experience).

If that does not work, and sometimes it will not, your best bet is doing a completely clean reinstall (options a & b are downloadable PDF files):

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The first thing I'd do:

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

A lot of systems that are upgraded that were "well used, but not meticulously maintained" will have all sorts of issues show up as Windows 10 was built upon a shaky foundation. Generally a Repair Install (which is nothing but a Feature Update but running the same Version as you already have) will eliminate these in the majority of cases (at least in my experience).

If that does not work, and sometimes it will not, your best bet is doing a completely clean reinstall (options a & b are downloadable PDF files):

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File
b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive
c) How to do a CLEAN Installation of Windows 10 (Tom’s Hardware Forums, with screen shots)

If one is doing a completely clean reinstall it is presumed that you will have done a full system image backup of the existing system, a separate user data backup, and taken an inventory of your installed software with something like Belarc Advisor and collected the installers you'd need to reinstall what you need after that reinstall BEFORE doing it.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Task Manager's startup tab to see what all is being launched.

Click the top of Memory column (header) to be sure that the memory usage is sorted from highest to lowest. It appears that you may have done so but that 742.7 MB being shown as used by Europa (2) does not account for much of the installed 16GB of RAM.

Remember to also look in Resource Monitor.

Process Explorer (you may need to download that) could also reveal what grabbing holding RAM.

BMilitant

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016
Look in Task Manager's startup tab to see what all is being launched.

Click the top of Memory column (header) to be sure that the memory usage is sorted from highest to lowest. It appears that you may have done so but that 742.7 MB being shown as used by Europa (2) does not account for much of the installed 16GB of RAM.

Remember to also look in Resource Monitor.

Process Explorer (you may need to download that) could also reveal what grabbing holding RAM.

View: https://imgur.com/9fgm4pa

this is my startup... really nothing going on here.

What I am going to do is leave the recourse monitor up and try playing the game and see if I run into the same issues and try to screen cap it then

Ralston18

Titan
One suggestion:

Remember to watch Resource Monitor for a while before you game.

Let the system stabilize (no parameters changing, no other apps launching, no more updating, etc.. Leave the window open and drag to one side so you can watch real time versus opening and closing Resource Monitor window.

Status
Not open for further replies.