Question Memory issue, doesnt run above 2400mhz, please help, FRUSTRATING :(

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
So i've had these hyperx fury rgb memory modules rated at 3200mhz for about 6 months now and i had the same issue when i first got them and its just that they will never work above 2400mhz and if i raise the frequency above 2400mhz , even at 2666mhz , my pc would not post and take me back to the bios screen stating that it had failed to post because of instability. i somehow got them to work at 3000mhz for a few months using 1.38 dram voltage and a timing of 16-18-18-18-36 and a trfc of 460 and a trc of 57 or 58 , and rtt_nom set to rzq/7 and rtt_park set to rzq/5 and rtt_wr set to disabled along with power down mode set to disabled, i had to do all this to get it running at that speed, jus why does this even happen anyways , but well now it doesnt even run at anything above 2400mhz even with the settings above... WHYY :(

pc specs-
asus prime b450mk
ryzen 5 3400g @4.2 ghz
rx vega 11 @ 1700mhz
hyperx fury rgb rated at 3200mhz but cant even run above 2400mhz
some random 1tb hdd
500w 83+ psu (zalman wattbit)

please help me if u can, im so frustrated, my bios is on the latest version too, this issue just suddenly happened like i havent even done anything :( , it happened after i changed my vega 11's freuqency to 1660mhz and then my pc failed to post but it posted later on with 1700mhz for the vega 11 and the ram couldnt be set to 3000 again and never to 3200mhz , i reset the bios countless times and finally i dont think the graphics relate anyway to the ram... and again, please help if u can this is just so frustrating.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks. Cpuz checks out for what i wanted to see besides frequency obviously. One stick should have worked on it's own if there was a pairing issue. Has bios update been suggested yet?

Have you tried manually inputting memory values, freq, dram volt, soc vol and primary timings under the manual option instead of editing docp profile?

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Thanks. Cpuz checks out for what i wanted to see besides frequency obviously. One stick should have worked on it's own if there was a pairing issue. Has bios update been suggested yet?

Have you tried manually inputting memory values, freq, dram volt, soc vol and primary timings under the manual option instead of docp?
Yes the bios is on the latest version,
and i have indeed tried manually inputting the values, i tried 3000mhz with 1.38v and here are my timings
16-18-18-18-36
trfc-480
trc-58
rtt_nom-rzq/7
rtt_wr- disabled
rtt_park- rzq/5
power down mode- disabled
procODT- 53.3 ohm

what do i do now :'(

Did you try and reset the BIOS to default?
I'm not asking you to do this on a whim - your overclocked GPU which is part of the CPU could be causing issues. It looks like you've also messed with memory timings. Reset everything to auto/default and only touch the memory frequency. Try raising it in small steps, maybe hitting 2666MHz first and testing for stability.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Did you try and reset the BIOS to default?
I'm not asking you to do this on a whim - your overclocked GPU which is part of the CPU could be causing issues. Reset everything to auto/default and only touch the memory frequency. Try raising it in small steps, maybe hitting 2666MHz first and testing for stability.
Yes, i tried adjusting just the memory alone, and it still doesnt work.. it never gets to anything above 2400mhz :'(
i'll try it once again rn

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Im thinking the processor gen is letting you down mostly.

Last ditch effort, try (if you haven't yet) all settings the combination of these two programs gives you

Now I wonder whether its the cpu or the motherboard or the ram itself , i cant go out of my way to buy another cpu or motherboard, i was saving for a gpu and i have around 210$ and now i just broke my side panel and i have to deal with it and now the memory is getting annoying , ugh this is realllyy annoying, i hope these applications will help :'( , damn i thought my build was perfect , now i guess i have to pay a lot of money to correct all of this :/

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Naw try the programs first then see. Even if you have a target speed of 2933.

Wouldn't be the ram because you tried them singly. It's either cpu, motherboard (or bios revision, perhaps a step back is better) or memory settings. You've tried manual settings to quite the level of detail without success. Hopefully dram calculator with it's secondary timings and other settings it offers helps.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020

Wouldn't be the ram because you tried them singly. It's either cpu, motherboard (or bios revision, perhaps a step back is better) or memory settings. You've tried manual settings to quite the level of detail without success. Hopefully dram calculator with it's secondary timings and other settings it offers helps.
Do i revert to a previous bios ? Because now, when i change the timings for trfc and procodt and other stuff, without even changing the frequency , it doesnt post and it says the system is unstable.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020

i took a screenshot of the thaiphoon program, thought it might help

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Dram calculator isn't a sure thing but it can help, inputting all values it suggests. Even for one stick. I don't want to suggest replacing the motherboard but it might well be preferred later on. Perhaps a previous bios revision could help.

You have tried docp profile haven't you? Double checking.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Dual rank is memory specific. You don't have dual rank RAM so don't worry about it.
(dual rank is completely different from dual channel)

Please post the exact full model numbers from each of the memory packages.
Alright i'll try to take a pic rn
Try d or e die if it's there
I tried the dram calculator's settings with my present bios and it didnt work , i'll change the bios version and hope to see a change

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Im not sure what that's about sorry. Hmm nothing is helping. Im wondering if you should return the ram for Bdie kit CL 14. CL 14 will be Bdie, the most successful ram for 1st gen.
I just tried downgrading the bios using a usb drive and now my screen is black when i turn on the pc...

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Im not sure what that's about sorry. Hmm nothing is helping. Im wondering if you should return the ram for Bdie kit CL 14. CL 14 will be Bdie, the most successful ram for 1st gen.
omg what do i do now , my pc doesnt work anymore , its literally just running the fans and lights , the screen is black , what happened to it :'(