Question Memory issue, doesnt run above 2400mhz, please help, FRUSTRATING :(

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
So i've had these hyperx fury rgb memory modules rated at 3200mhz for about 6 months now and i had the same issue when i first got them and its just that they will never work above 2400mhz and if i raise the frequency above 2400mhz , even at 2666mhz , my pc would not post and take me back to the bios screen stating that it had failed to post because of instability. i somehow got them to work at 3000mhz for a few months using 1.38 dram voltage and a timing of 16-18-18-18-36 and a trfc of 460 and a trc of 57 or 58 , and rtt_nom set to rzq/7 and rtt_park set to rzq/5 and rtt_wr set to disabled along with power down mode set to disabled, i had to do all this to get it running at that speed, jus why does this even happen anyways , but well now it doesnt even run at anything above 2400mhz even with the settings above... WHYY :(

pc specs-
asus prime b450mk
ryzen 5 3400g @4.2 ghz
rx vega 11 @ 1700mhz
hyperx fury rgb rated at 3200mhz but cant even run above 2400mhz
some random 1tb hdd
500w 83+ psu (zalman wattbit)

please help me if u can, im so frustrated, my bios is on the latest version too, this issue just suddenly happened like i havent even done anything :( , it happened after i changed my vega 11's freuqency to 1660mhz and then my pc failed to post but it posted later on with 1700mhz for the vega 11 and the ram couldnt be set to 3000 again and never to 3200mhz , i reset the bios countless times and finally i dont think the graphics relate anyway to the ram... and again, please help if u can this is just so frustrating.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
ok i plugged it in before i powered it on , and i kept it in the back io usb port , a blue one, and then i powered it on, nothing happens :( , are these all the files that i need ?

Only needs the cap file. Remove those other files.

This should work unless Bios isn't actually corrupted and somehow 3400g's igpu isn't supported with the revision the Bios is currently on. Can you get your hands on a graphics card?

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Only needs the cap file. Remove those other files.

This should work unless Bios isn't actually corrupted and somehow 3400g's igpu isn't supported with the revision the Bios is currently on. Can you get your hands on a graphics card?
oh no no no , i dont have a graphics card , and i'll try it again after deleting the other files, but im not sure if it'll work, im kind of losing hope for this thing :(

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Possibly. Get physical help first, may not need to buy anything yet. See what they think first. If a graphics card works then they can reflash Bios properly and have a look at your ram and try another ram module if yours still don't work.
I'll take it to a pc repair shop tomorrow , if they cant help i'll just buy a b450 tomahawk max from my usual pc dealer. Atleast i'll try to test the ram modules in their shop and see if they can at 3200mhz in another pc. And is it okay to keep using my pc without a side panel? It broke day before yesterday :'(

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Not much of an issue running with no side panel besides something crawling in there and making a home.
I still dont get why i never got my memory above 2400mhz , is the issue with the ram ? Because if i buy another , even more expensive, motherboard and it doesnt let me run 3200mhz im killin myself, well i actually have the ram from 2 different packages but the numbering and serial number etc are all exactly the same , is thst the reason it doesnt work ? Different packages ? I doubt it

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I still dont get why i never got my memory above 2400mhz , is the issue with the ram ? Because if i buy another , even more expensive, motherboard and it doesnt let me run 3200mhz im killin myself, well i actually have the ram from 2 different packages but the numbering and serial number etc are all exactly the same , is thst the reason it doesnt work ? Different packages ? I doubt it

Mixing ram can cause compatibility issues but you tried them singly to rule out that as being part of the issue. Specs / numbers may be the same but materials used in fabrication and binning process isn't always the same so memory kits are recommended. Ram kits are bundled in batches and tested.

Why 3200 couldn't run could be because of the motherboard or it could be because ram aren't Bdie. Memory support has improved since first gen Ryzen but Samsung Bdie IC chips used on ram (ie CL 14 at 3200 or CL 16 at 3600) are still the most successful.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Mixing ram can cause compatibility issues but you tried them singly to rule out that as being part of the issue. Specs / numbers may be the same but materials used in fabrication and binning process isn't always the same so memory kits are recommended. Ram kits are bundled in batches and tested.

Why 3200 couldn't run could be because of the motherboard or it could be because ram aren't Bdie. Memory support has improved since first gen Ryzen but Samsung Bdie IC chips used on ram (ie CL 14 at 3200 or CL 16 at 3600) are still the most successful.
Waittttt so this ram cant run well because its c die ? My goodness what do i do now... i dont think i can return the ram because it has been over 6 months since i bought them 😭

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Depends on the motherboard and also processor as well. Samsung has the highest success but doesn't mean all other Die types and IC manufacturer's won't run.

See what the PC shop says
Well i hope the ram isnt the issue man, its hyperx fury rgb, how bad can it be , and its cl 16 , and the processor is alright actually, i dont think it relates to any of this , i hope all the issue is the motherboard and if i buy the msi b450 tomahawk max it'll all be fixed. Gn i'll sleep for now its like 3 in the morning

Your mixed ram is your problem.
Changing motherboards might allow you to run @2933. 3200 might not ever be possible with your current memory.
Your best practical option is to ditch your mismatched sticks and get a set of known working ram .
A matched set, in one package.

You have already gone through everything possible to get your miss-matched set to work.
Almost bricked your current motherboard.
And now you want to try again on another motherboard with the same memory modules????
Good luck with your endeavor!

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Your mixed ram is your problem.
Changing motherboards might allow you to run @2933. 3200 might not ever be possible with your current memory.
Your best practical option is to ditch your mismatched sticks and get a set of known working ram .
A matched set, in one package.

You have already gone through everything possible to get your miss-matched set to work.
Almost bricked your current motherboard.
And now you want to try again on another motherboard with the same memory modules????
Good luck with your endeavor!
They have tried ram sticks individually, that's what makes it difficult.
Yeah they didnt work individually either, but im confused... people who build high end stuff use 2 sets of 2 ram sticks which equals 4 sticks from different packages... so why are you saying that this is the problem, well i'll go try it at my friends house , he has a good build, i'll see if they can run there . But im still confused as , again , i've seen lots of pc build videos using 2 kits of 2 sticks each , so why is that possibly the issue for me 0-0 i have 2 memory modules of the same exact serial number or model number like everything on each package is exactly the same , i meannn im not a pc enthusiast but im just confused , you surely know better so tell me 0---0

Last edited:
Have a read here.
It explains the finer points on memory, how it works, and the pitfalls of mixing sticks.
There is a lot more to memory than CAS 14-14-14 1.35v
There are at least 40 other timings that must also match or be close for it to work.

Take everything you see in YouTube videos etc... with a pound of salt and lots of skepticism.
Yes sometimes mixing ram works perfectly, but many, many times (if you care to search the forums)it does not and causes all kinds of weird and hard to trace down problems.
At the end of the day it is your hardware and time. If you wish to keep wasting time and money to make your memory sticks work, go for it.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Have a read here.
It explains the finer points on memory, how it works, and the pitfalls of mixing sticks.
There is a lot more to memory than CAS 14-14-14 1.35v
There are at least 40 other timings that must also match or be close for it to work.

Take everything you see in YouTube videos etc... with a pound of salt and lots of skepticism.
Yes sometimes mixing ram works perfectly, but many, many times (if you care to search the forums)it does not and causes all kinds of weird and hard to trace down problems.
At the end of the day it is your hardware and time. If you wish to keep wasting time and money to make your memory sticks work, go for it.
i dont even have enough money for a new motherboard and ram, i can buy either a motherboard ( msi b450 tomahawk max) or ram (corsair vengeance lpx3200mhz ) , but i cant buy both :((, and it hurts to ditch perfectly working ram :((( , but hear me out, neither of the sticks reached anything above 2400mhz alone, like not in dual channel mode 0-0 , what does that mean 🤔🤔

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
ok i just read the site u showed me, and wellll... i didnt choose the memory modules, i chose custom parts and asked for them to be assembled , well i didnt ask but my dad did because he thought i'll spoil the parts even though i knew how to build a pc, and then the people out there did it this way and i never thought it'd be the reason the never worked :'( , well idk what to do with this ram now , but im still wonderingg why didnt it work in alone 0-0

Again , if you look on this site or other forums, you will find a LOT of memory problem threads.
ESPECIALLY with early Ryzens and Corsair LPX memory not running @ rated speeds.
Some of it is the person bought memory faster than their processor could run. Some peoples memory controller is better than others.
Your motherboard is still under warranty with ASUS
Start an RMA process with them.
They will repair and return your motherboard or replace it.
It cost about $15 US shipping with fedex pre pay through Asus and takes a couple weeks.
At that point I would probably purchase new memory.
You have second generation processor so look for memory from this list.

xCJ11

Commendable
Oct 20, 2020
Again , if you look on this site or other forums, you will find a LOT of memory problem threads.
ESPECIALLY with early Ryzens and Corsair LPX memory not running @ rated speeds.
Some of it is the person bought memory faster than their processor could run. Some peoples memory controller is better than others.
Your motherboard is still under warranty with ASUS
Start an RMA process with them.
They will repair and return your motherboard or replace it.
It cost about $15 US shipping with fedex pre pay through Asus and takes a couple weeks.
At that point I would probably purchase new memory.
You have second generation processor so look for memory from this list.
Alright man, i'll try to, i'll see what i can do :'(