Question Memory Issue

Jun 1, 2020
Need help! I have an ASUS P7P55D board with an i7-875k CPU, Windows 10 pro 64bit OS, Two sticks of kingston 2x2gb hyperx ram. I recently installed 2x4gb kingston hyperx ram in place of the 2x2 ram. The bios has the latest version.

Before installing the ram i cleared the cmos and the PC booted to windows without any problems which i used the PC for 3 days without any issues, Thinking everything was fine i decided to go into the bios today and redo my overclock settings which has been working great for about 9 years now. With the overclock settings put in along with the new ram the PC won't boot to windows?

Also wanted to note that i have tried the new kingston 2x4gb ram with an ASUS P7P55D Deluxe board that has the same CPU & OS and it works just fine overclocked with this one?

@Electric Psycho
Overclocking is a roll of the dice. You are often walking up the bleeding edge. The fact the one setup can do it and an almost identical one can't is kinda how it works.

You want to see if you can make it work? I would suggest trying the alternate set of RAM slots ... maybe mess with timings ... maybe take a baby step back from your overclock that worked in the past.

Reactions: DMAN999
Jun 1, 2020
I am not new to overclocking just to let you know, The system worked great overclocked with the 2x2gb ram cards for nearly 9 years however i decided that i wanted more ram just to see if the old system could do any better. What i am trying to figure out is why the memory i just bought won't work in the one system overclocked but works just fine in a very similar setup overclocked.

I just tried 4 / 2x2gb ADATA ram cards a friend brought over, All 4 at the same time and can overclock the system just fine however that same system won't work with the 2x4gb cards overclocked no matter what i try. Anyone ever have this same problem? The new memory i just bought KHX1600C9D3T1K2/8GX

Are you doing any FSB (BCLK) overclock? This can lead to all kinds of problems very quickly. You might even want to underclock the BCLK by 1 or 2% to see if you can enhance stability.
Are you bumping up voltage to the CPU at all? Don't forget that the memory controller is part of the CPU now and this is one more part that is effected by the changes you make.
The new RAM is DDR3-1600, the memory controller is speced for DDR3-1333 ... another possible issue.

These are just a couple guesses.

Jun 1, 2020
I am not a novice to overclocking as i had already previously stated and do know how to set everything up, My system has been overclocked and running stable for nearly 9 years as are my other systems which are all overclocked as well. It was an issue with the new ram. I have 1800mhz ram in one of my other P7P55D boards and 1866 in another and they both work just fine even though the memory controller is 1333 for those boards as well so i can't really see the 1600 ram being an issue.

I tried some ADATA AX3U2000GC4G9B-DG2 ram my brother brought over which is running overclocked and has been working just fine which it is DDR3-2000. It is running stable at 1848mhz in my PC. The Kingston is 1600mhz and won't boot to windows while being overclocked, The ADATA & Kingston are similar as far as the specs go except for the Kingston being XMP ready. My brother took my Kingston ram home and it does the same thing in his PC while being overclocked so i am just going to return it as it is clearly an issue with the ram.

https://www.newegg.com/adata-8gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820211517

https://www.newegg.com/hyperx-8gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820104242

Last edited: