Memory issues? or is it the motherboard

sticknrudder1

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
Good Day All,
Im having problems with my system here are the specs

1. AMD Ryzen 1700X
2. MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Patched to latest)
3. 2 stick of Corsair Vengeance 16 gb ram
4. Nvidia 1070 Founders edition
5. 850 watt power supply

i have stripped all other attachments from my system at this time

what I am fighting with is the 32gb installed 15.9 usable

I have run the memory test but have not had any errors - is there a way to tell if this is a motherboard issue? I have to admit Im driving myself nuts trying to find the issue - I have re-seated the sticks and it issue abates only to return - I have been experiencing BSOD, freezing and other reboot inducing moments. any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Mike

Solution

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017
What memory test are you running? MemTest64? You say that it comes back with no errors. Does it specify that it's reading all 32GB of RAM? Does your BIOS recognize all of your RAM? What bios version are you running (I know you said it's "Patched to latest, but I want to be sure)? Are those specific RAM sticks compatible with your motherboard?

I ask about compatibility because I'm in a similar boat, where I bought G.Skill Trident Z RAM, but I bought the models that are optimized for Intel based mobos, not AMD based mobos. My motherboard won't run my 3200Mhz RAM at that speed. It wants to run it at 2133Mhz and i've managed to get it to run at 3000Mhz through the bios.

EDIT: The goal is to troubleshoot the RAM and *maybe* the OS before the Motherboard. Take all of your RAM out and test each stick one at a time. IF they're all good, take only one of the sticks and test each of the slots on the motherboard. If there are no issues with the RAM or the slots, we'll have to look elsewhere (ie BIOS, Windows, Mobo paperwork)

sticknrudder1

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018

sticknrudder1

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
Amyeyer75,

afternoon!

I ran the windows memory test via admin tools -
the Bios sees all 32GB (located in DIMMA1/DIMMB1)
bios currently running is E7A32AMS.1G0
the memory seems to all check out ok - I have pulled both sticks and installed one at a time (as of this post I have all 32 recognized)
current speed is that of 2133 (as what you are having)
interestingly I pulled all the ram and booted to see if I would get a post beep error - totally silent no beep.
on this X370 I have an ez debug area (series of 4 leds that indicate an issue) none are light.
the really odd thing is that it will run fine for a while - but if I install a new program (in last case via STEAM) the system will hang - I reboot and viola! 32GB with 15 usable! lol

I dont know if I need a Priest or a hammer here! :)

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017

Shouldn't need to do the eraser trick, since the RAM/Motherboard aren't old. If the CPU wasn't seated correctly, the PC wouldn't have started.

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017

You'll definitely need a Priest. :D The paperwork for your motherboard suggests you should be using DIMMA2 and DIMMB2 when only using 2 sticks. Please try that.

To change your memory speed, you'll have to make the changes in your BIOS. Also, I'll need the specific version number for your BIOS. The most recent for your motherboard is: 7A32v1G . The number you gave must be the one Windows is seeing, but that isn't usable information for me.

What is the specific model number for your RAM? If you purchased this through amazon, please provide a link. You may not have RAM that's compatible with your motherboard.

EDIT: If you need a copy of your motherboard manual, you can find it here:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#down-manual

EDIT 2: When did you start having these issues? Did you recently build the machine? Did you buy it from a retailer? Did it work fine before an update or before you installed software? Are all of these components new, or did you transplant any from another computer?

Solution

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017

The eraser trick is GOLD, but this hardware is new enough that it shouldn't be needed.