[SOLVED] Memory issues when playing games

r156

Commendable
Jun 3, 2018
Hi, recently, when I've been playing pretty much any game, I have noticed that anywhere from just loading in (insurgency sandstorm) to about half an hour of playing, (fortnite) my game will freeze and become completely unresponsive. It will then just outright crash and no other choice for me to quit the game. I'm suspicious that it is the ram because it has only crashed when I have had maybe 30-40 percent background ram usage, btw i have 16gb of ram. After I cracked down on the troublesome programs, I experienced this issue far later into a gaming session then previously. (photo of current idle usage https://prnt.sc/taegcn
) I have checked that my virtual ram is set to automatic, have stress tested the ram, and my cpu and gpu; all no issues. I'm considering buying another kit of ram, seeing as the issue became better when less ram was being used, but I'm still puzzled as to why this issue hasn't occurred previously.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

My specs are:

R5 3600

Aorus B450 Pro

Strix 1060 6gb Gskill trident z rgb 3600mhz 16gb

Solution
A freeze is not a RAM issue it is a CPU or GPU issue. If RAM is bad you will get a auto restart or a BSOD. As for virtual RAM turn that non sense off you don't need it once you have 16GB RAM or higher.

r156

Commendable
Jun 3, 2018
make and model of the psu?
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
hdd or ssd?
Corsair RM650
My C drive is a Samsung 860 evo but the games are all installed on my 2tb WD Blue HDD.
The temps are pretty solid, seeing as my cpu is cooled by a h100i platinum and stays at about 40-50 C degrees. Personally, I dont think the issue is the cpu/gpu, seeing as the only usage metric that was questionable while gaming would be the ram usage.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
A freeze is not a RAM issue it is a CPU or GPU issue. If RAM is bad you will get a auto restart or a BSOD. As for virtual RAM turn that non sense off you don't need it once you have 16GB RAM or higher.

Solution