[SOLVED] Memory kit performing way below expectatins

Solution
Yep, it shows 1465.8mhz which roughly, doubled, (Since DDR is double data rate) is about 2933mhz. Seems right to me. Those 1066 are just the stock JEDEC specs showing, not the actual speed. It's also running in dual channel so I see no problems especially after adding in the much improved userbenchmark scores.

I say you are good to go.

kqla0.jpg
Yes, you should. What are your full hardware specifications and which slots are your memory modules installed in? It's likely they are not in the correct slots and you are not seeing the benefits of dual channel operation, which would account for the poor userbenchmark score compared to other systems that are configured correctly for dual channel operation.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Yes, you should. What are your full hardware specifications and which slots are your memory modules installed in? It's likely they are not in the correct slots and you are not seeing the benefits of dual channel operation, which would account for the poor userbenchmark score compared to other systems that are configured correctly for dual channel operation.
If slot 1 is the slot closest to my CPU, then I am using Slot 2 and 4, if not then I am using Slot 1 and 3. Is there a way to check my full hardware specs?

First, make sure you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed. Check the motherboard product page, compare the latest version to the version you have installed and update as necessary. Your BIOS version seems to be many versions back, so I'd update to the latest version found here:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS

You only need to update one time, to the latest version, not to each individual version.

Then, set the profile value in the BIOS and be sure to select "Save BIOS settings and exit" on the last tab of the BIOS (The Exit tab). If the BIOS settings will not save, then there is a problem with your motherboard. That wouldn't surprise me being that it's an MSI board. (Runs away before detractors can beat him with sticks.)

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
First, make sure you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed. Check the motherboard product page, compare the latest version to the version you have installed and update as necessary. Your BIOS version seems to be many versions back, so I'd update to the latest version found here:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS

You only need to update one time, to the latest version, not to each individual version.

Then, set the profile value in the BIOS and be sure to select "Save BIOS settings and exit" on the last tab of the BIOS (The Exit tab). If the BIOS settings will not save, then there is a problem with your motherboard. That wouldn't surprise me being that it's an MSI board. (Runs away before detractors can beat him with sticks.)
Already updated my BIOS to the most recent version, will try to set voltage to 1.35 now

If that works (Or even if it doesn't), I would try setting the XMP profile again. Try profile 1. That is usually the most accurate and stable profile. Profile 2 if profile 1 fails to work as expected. Having updated the BIOS may give you a different result with the XMP profile, now that it is updated for better memory compatibility.

You may also want to try the Ryzen calculator which you can download for free to manually configure the memory if nothing else works.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
If that works (Or even if it doesn't), I would try setting the XMP profile again. Try profile 1. That is usually the most accurate and stable profile. Profile 2 if profile 1 fails to work as expected. Having updated the BIOS may give you a different result with the XMP profile, now that it is updated for better memory compatibility.

You may also want to try the Ryzen calculator which you can download for free to manually configure the memory if nothing else works.
Not working and don't know how the calculator thing works so that is a no go I am afraid. Thank you all for still trying to help me tho, this issue is frustrating....

I had a fx mobo stuck on a setting and finally got it to clear by
1 unplugging psu power cord from psu
2 press and hold power button for 10 to 15 secs which resets bios but i also used the jumper clear then pull the battery and left it for a hour.
Way overkill for a bios reset but it cleared the value that was stuck.

Full method is as follows, and it often works for a LOT of issues that won't go away through normal methods:

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Full method is as follows, and it often works for a LOT of issues that won't go away through normal methods:

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.
Unfortunately this did not work. It's weird, since the A-XMP profiles used to work before but now they don't anymore.

Do you know anybody with another system you can try these memory modules in to verify that it is the memory and not the motherboard?

Have you tried the memory individually, in the A2 slot, to see if you can get them to run at the advertised speed when only one memory module is installed? And try both modules to be sure it isn't just a bad memory module?

Did you buy both memory modules in one kit, or separately as single modules?