memory latency

Buying some memory. Looking at 2 sticks of corsair
ddr400(pc3200) 184 pin, 512mb each stick.
Question I have, is that on new-egg, there are two exact types, at the same
price, one with a cas latency of 3 and the other with a 2.5 cas latency. I
am naturally looking at the 2.5( I know the speed difference is very,very
slender), but anything that I am missing, on why I shouldnt by the 2.5 if
its the same price?

Much regards Jerry

Bruce

Jerry,

Without the actual part #s, I would venture a guess that the cas 2.5
memory is faster when used at stock speed, but the looser cas 3 memory
should be able to be pushed to higher buss speeds if you overclock.
That is the choice between them. As overclocking is not really an
option on current Gateway motherboards, go for the cas 2.5 if the memory
is to stay in this system. With cheap memory, cas 3 might give less
compatibility troubles, but Corsair is good stuff.

j.lef wrote:

> Buying some memory. Looking at 2 sticks of corsair
> ddr400(pc3200) 184 pin, 512mb each stick.
> Question I have, is that on new-egg, there are two exact types, at the same
> price, one with a cas latency of 3 and the other with a 2.5 cas latency. I
> am naturally looking at the 2.5( I know the speed difference is very,very
> slender), but anything that I am missing, on why I shouldnt by the 2.5 if
> its the same price?
>

> Much regards Jerry

Check the system specs. Some systems (many Dells, for instance) will
not run CL-2.5 PC3200 - or will clock down to PC2700 (333 MHz) if you
mix CL-2.5 with the factory-shipped CL-3 RAM.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Check the system specs. Some systems (many Dells, for instance) will
> not run CL-2.5 PC3200 - or will clock down to PC2700 (333 MHz) if you
> mix CL-2.5 with the factory-shipped CL-3 RAM.

Thanks Bruce and Ed for the info. I am redoing
a gateway select amd 1.2 system, and just basically scavenging the parts
from it. The 1gig of memory from corsair will be the only memory, so there
should be no conflicts. I will using an asus a7nx8e mobo, with an amd
barton 3200.
I will using an antec case and power supply. I
will be swapping out of the existing gateway, the two hard drives, dvd
drive, cdrw drive, floppy, modem, video card, sound card.(the video card and
sound card, were already upgraded to modern hardware) The person I am doing
this for, will also be keeping his existing mitsubishi(gateway branded)
monitor and boston 5 speaker system, and keyboard.
Anyone interested, in buying real cheap the
original gateway case, mobo, chip, power supply, and 640mb of memory, all
working fine? Should be looking to get rid of it, in about two weeks, if
not, I will probably put an old 20 mg hard drive I got, and an old video and
sound card, and perhaps try to see if the local senior center could use it,
or some kid in the neighborhood.

Much regards Jerry