Question Memory Leak in Windows 10 processes

cirrone

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
My son has 16GB of RAM with 12GB of Virtual Memory. After using his computer for a while, we will notice a slowdown and programs (games) start crashing. When looking at the processes to see what is eating up all the memory, the only thing that is using up a lot is "Memory Compression". I think one of the programs/apps that is installed may have a memory leak that Process Monitor isn't picking up.

Full disclosure, he does run Minecraft Java and we all know how tetchy Java programs in Windows can be. He also plays Rocket League and Borderlands 2. He does some modding but we've noticed the issues even with the vanilla games.

I'm currently running an extended diagnostic on his RAM and when it is done (probably the day after tomorrow :rolleyes:) I will begin to update all of his drivers jic that is the problem.

Can anyone give any advice to track down the culprit? TIA

EDIT: He just reminded me that when he was playing Minecraft Java today completely vanilla, his entire system shut down on him.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019
I read "my son" and stopped reading there. Just being honest. ;)

Kids are virus magnets. If it says "fortnite cheat program v2.12" it's getting downloaded. lol