Question Memory leak on MSI 3070 with Borderlands 3

Jul 16, 2022
Hello everyone,

I don't consider myself to be a hardcore PC genius but I know my way around the OS. I've been realizing an issue with one game only: Borderlands 3. I am getting intermittent FPS drops, no matter what I am running the game at. 2560, 1080, Ultra, or very low. During the benchmarks I watch my GPU VRAM usage hit 6 out of 8GB, EVEN IN 1080P AND 2560! The results are the same no matter what resolution or graphics setting I am using. V-sync on or off, 60 FPS cap or unlimited.

The temp doesn't exceed 68C. The GPU utilization is also extremely low (about 12%) watching through task manager. My monitor is plugged directly into my GPU with a display port cable. It seems as though my CPU usage is fine but the game just does not use my GPU to it's potential and I see a massive memory leak (again, 6/8 GB)

All drivers are up to date. My system is using 32GB of RAM at 7000MHz, and AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, and an MSI NVIDIA 3070 8GB.

Using any other benchmark, the GPU performs flawlessly. Temp raises, no FPS drops, it works perfect. I have forced the rendering to the GPU in the control panel, PhysX setting are set to GPU, it's all set to maximum performance mode in any power savings modes.

Should also mention the voltage does hit 1000mV during the benchmark.

I am fortunate enough to be able to test BL3 on my wife's PC, which is sporting a 3060, and she can run the benchmark at 100FPS with no issues, and her VRAM barely exceeds 3GB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have tried the benchmark on her PC and mine with the exact same settings 1080p on medium. Her PC still outperforms mine with 0 FPS drops and she has a 3060.

Last edited: