[SOLVED] Memory Management Blue Screen After Hardware Changes

Sayan Logan

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
So I was using this Corsair ValueSelect 8GB memory for like 3 years no problem on my old Intel PC... But since I upgraded my Motherboard and CPU started getting this blue screen error massage called Memory Management while using the PC... Provided a screenshot of the issue... I tried all the troubleshoot like windows memory diagnostics, memtest86 cleaning MEMORY contacts using eraser, Wiped all the data that was in the SSD and HDD, Reinstall Windows 10... Still not solved the issue... still the RAM and all other components work well with old Intel PC... Please help me with this issue by giving some suggestions or fixes...

Is there any chance that my RAM is not working well with the new Motherboard or CPU?

New PC:
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit 2004 Update
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3500 (New)
MOBO: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX (New)
GPU: AMD RX570 8G

Old PC:
Operating system : Windows 10 Pro 64Bit 2004 Update
CPU: Intel I3 6098P
MOBO: GIGABYTE B250M - D2V
GPU: AMD RX570 8G

Solution
The objective is to get to a stable state.

@Juan_Bijero makes a very good point. Get to a supported memory configuration (e.g., as suggested) using matched 2 x 16GB kit.

Key is to ensure that the installed RAM is supported by the motherboard with regards to the module specs and memory slots being used.

If the error's continue then it may well be that the PSU is not providing proper voltages to the memory modules.

Works until it (the PSU) get hot.

Do you have access to another PSU for testing purposes?
Also make sure that both ram sticks are in slots A2 and B2 which are the 2nd and 4th slots.
So it WAS a RAM problem after all... Just replaced the old RAM with a New 3200Mhz... and I've been using this PC for 3...

Ralston18

Titan
Very good chance that the RAM is not working with the new motherboard.

Start by ensuring that the RAM is fully and firmly seated in the RAM slots. May be a bit stiff with respect to the new motherboard. You do not want to force the RAM into the slots and sometimes full contact is not being made. You may need to wiggle and rock the modules into place. Ensure that the modules "lock in".

Then, if the problem remains, you must check the new motherboard's User Guide/Manual to verify that the installed RAM is indeed supported by the motherboard.

Reference:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7C52v1.2.pdf

Do verify that I have identified the correct manual.

Physically numbered Page 3 presents the memory specifications. Physically numbered Page 10, presents RAM installation.

You should also visit MSI's website for updated RAM specifications/ information regarding the new motherboard. Details matter so read all of the fine print and notes.

Check the RAM module's manufacturer. Many manufacturer's have a "search" function where you enter your motherboard information and are presented with a list of compatible RAM modules and kits.

Details matter.

Sayan Logan

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Very good chance that the RAM is not working with the new motherboard.

Start by ensuring that the RAM is fully and firmly seated in the RAM slots. May be a bit stiff with respect to the new motherboard. You do not want to force the RAM into the slots and sometimes full contact is not being made. You may need to wiggle and rock the modules into place. Ensure that the modules "lock in".

Then, if the problem remains, you must check the new motherboard's User Guide/Manual to verify that the installed RAM is indeed supported by the motherboard.

Reference:

https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7C52v1.2.pdf

Do verify that I have identified the correct manual.

Physically numbered Page 3 presents the memory specifications. Physically numbered Page 10, presents RAM installation.

You should also visit MSI's website for updated RAM specifications/ information regarding the new motherboard. Details matter so read all of the fine print and notes.

Check the RAM module's manufacturer. Many manufacturer's have a "search" function where you enter your motherboard information and are presented with a list of compatible RAM modules and kits.

Details matter.
I wanna add some info: while I play games it never gave me blue screen issue... main problem when i use the pc...

Ralston18

Titan
What are you doing when not gaming and getting BSOD's. What app or apps cause the BSODs ?

If you are able to boot up then open Reliability History and look for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with blue screen occurrences.

Could be buggy or corrupted software. Get a fresh download via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Sayan Logan

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
But i
What are you doing when not gaming and getting BSOD's. What app or apps cause the BSODs ?

If you are able to boot up then open Reliability History and look for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with blue screen occurrences.

Could be buggy or corrupted software. Get a fresh download via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.
But i already reinstalles windows and wiped all the data on my SSD and HDD...

Ralston18

Titan
In that case it all goes back to verifying that the memory from the old motherboard will truly work in the new motherboard.

For now, leave the HDD disconnected and the focus will be achieving a successful boot via the SSD trusting that that SSD is indeed the boot drive.

However, you must still verify that the Corsair RAM is indeed compatible with and will work in the new motherboard.

Also, late note, do not see your screenshot - please repost.

Reactions: Juan_Bijero

Sayan Logan

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
In that case it all goes back to verifying that the memory from the old motherboard will truly work in the new motherboard.

For now, leave the HDD disconnected and the focus will be achieving a successful boot via the SSD trusting that that SSD is indeed the boot drive.

However, you must still verify that the Corsair RAM is indeed compatible with and will work in the new motherboard.

Also, late

Also, late note, do not see your screenshot - please repost.
Im unable to repost the screenshot... but I'm sure you know how a blue screen looks like saying Stop code: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT...It specially occurring when I finished playing games and trying to do something else... when the pc restarts because of blue screen or it shuts down unexpectedly the PC starts to blue screen loop... So I have to give the pc some rest... And after sometime im able to play games again...

Ralston18

Titan
PC's do not need to "rest".

However, they may need time to cool down temperature wise....

Make and model drive(s), capacity, and how full?

Next time you play, open either Task Manager or Resource Monitor and slide the window to one side so you can observe memory use as you play. Do so using both monitors but only use one at a time.

And since you have been playing and letting the computer rest - there should now be some relevant entries in Reliability History.

Sayan Logan

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
PC's do not need to "rest".

However, they may need time to cool down temperature wise....

Make and model drive(s), capacity, and how full?

Next time you play, open either Task Manager or Resource Monitor and slide the window to one side so you can observe memory use as you play. Do so using both monitors but only use one at a time.

And since you have been playing and letting the computer rest - there should now be some relevant entries in Reliability History.
Thinking about replacing with Corsair Vengence LPX 3000MHZ RAM... Will it help?

Ralston18

Titan
Perhaps.

The motherboard's User Guide (Page 3) lists 3000 MHz RAM as supported by A-XMP OC mode.

There is also an "*" note in the box that refers you to MSI's website for more information on compatible memory.

Corsairs technical specs (provided that I matched correctly):

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...EANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M4B3000C15#tab-tech-specs

At MSI's website:

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/A320M-A-PRO-MAX#support-cpu

Match your current new motherboard's model number etc. to work down to the supported RAM modules and corresponding configurations.

Details matter.

Sayan Logan

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
I can
Perhaps.

The motherboard's User Guide (Page 3) lists 3000 MHz RAM as supported by A-XMP OC mode.

There is also an "*" note in the box that refers you to MSI's website for more information on compatible memory.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...EANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M4B3000C15#tab-tech-specs

At MSI's website:

Match your current new motherboard's model number etc. to work down to the supported RAM modules and corresponding configurations.

Details matter.
Perhaps.

At MSI's website:

Details matter.
I can see my existing RAM is supported according to motherboard's manufacturer website but it says dual sided what does that mean?

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
You will need at least 16GB of ram. The suggestion of Corsair Vengeance LPX ram is a good one. I am currently running a Ryzen 7 3700X with 16GB of 3200mhz CL 16 (2X8GB) ram. The game that I have been playing most is Far Cry 5 with no issues.

Sayan Logan

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Dual sided or dual channel?

I expect that you mean the latter.

If not, do you have a link to the manufacturer's website?

My thought is that there is some documentation error.....
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/A320M-A-PRO-MAX#support-mem-18

CMV8GX4M1A2133C15 search for this specific RAM that I have...

Last night i fresh installed windows again... after using it for sometime SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD popped up... Tried to get into windows again immediately after restart but then the same story... MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Gave the PC some rest... Checked the Reliability History says "windows stopped working"... Seems like the windows goes unstable with the new hardware... what do you think?

If I really need to change my memory, which RAM do you suggest?

BTW I thank you for helping me out so far...

Ralston18

Titan
Not convinced that RAM per se is the problem. If RAM were the problem I would not expect the system to boot or work for awhile and then suddenly stop barring some temperature driven problem.

"Windows stopped working" is also suggestive to me that there could be power related issues

=====

For the moment try to avoid any additional Windows reinstalls. If too many things are changed then the troubleshooting process becomes more difficult.

As a matter of elimination, try another approach.

Open the case to temporarily allow more air flow. My thought is that something is overheating. Allowing the case and components more cooling could end or at least reduce the BSODs. Key is that nothing else is changed. Fewer BSOD's with an open case would support a possible heat related problem.

Also what PSU is installed? Make, model, wattage, age, condition? The current PSU may no longer be able to keep up with the systems power demands under certain circumstances. For example, not enough power is being supplied to RAM or the voltage is out (or goes out) of spec.

Key is that the troubleshooting process is deliberate and controlled. Focus on one possible culprit at a time in order to either identify it as indeed being the problem or eliminate that possible culprit as not being the problem.

Sayan Logan

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016
Is the Corsair Value Select ram 1X8GB or 2X4GB?
Not convinced that RAM per se is the problem. If RAM were the problem I would not expect the system to boot or work for awhile and then suddenly stop barring some temperature driven problem.

"Windows stopped working" is also suggestive to me that there could be power related issues

=====

For the moment try to avoid any additional Windows reinstalls. If too many things are changed then the troubleshooting process becomes more difficult.

Open the case to temporarily allow more air flow. My thought is that something is overheating. Allowing the case and components more cooling could end or at least reduce the BSODs. Key is that nothing else is changed. Fewer BSOD's with an open case would support a possible heat related problem.

Also what PSU is installed? Make, model, wattage, age, condition? The current PSU may no longer be able to keep up with the systems power demands under certain circumstances. For example, not enough power is being supplied to RAM or the voltage is out (or goes out) of spec.

Key is that the troubleshooting process is deliberate and controlled. Focus on one possible culprit at a time in order to either identify it as indeed being the problem or eliminate that possible culprit as not being the problem.
The PSU is: Cooler Master MWE 450 ( MPW-4502-ACABW)

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
The thing with dual channel is that the memory modules need to be matched. If one set is double-sided while another set is single-sided they likely will not work together on a Ryzen build. That said, 40 GB is a large amount of ram - even for gaming. By removing 8GB of that 40GB, you can verify that your 2 X 16GB is working properly. If you can test the 32GB with memtest, it would help greatly in breaking down the issue. I am not discounting a bad power supply. It is just that 32GB matched with 8GB sticks out like a sore thumb. It is doubtful that all 4 DIMMs have the exact timings - and exact performance.

Sayan Logan

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016

=====

Seems like the PC doesn't need rest after bluescreen restart when the case is open.. but still it gives me the blue screen...

Still I'm so confused that if its a temperature issue then why it says MEMORY_MANAGEMENT or SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED?

Assuming its caused by high temperatures then which component is giving up?

How do i permanently fix this issue?(without leaving the case open)

Ralston18

Titan

@Juan_Bijero makes a very good point. Get to a supported memory configuration (e.g., as suggested) using matched 2 x 16GB kit.

Key is to ensure that the installed RAM is supported by the motherboard with regards to the module specs and memory slots being used.

If the error's continue then it may well be that the PSU is not providing proper voltages to the memory modules.

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016

Also make sure that both ram sticks are in slots A2 and B2 which are the 2nd and 4th slots.

Sayan Logan

Honorable
Sep 25, 2016

So it WAS a RAM problem after all... Just replaced the old RAM with a New 3200Mhz... and I've been using this PC for 3 days... No signs of BSODs... Still have no clue why the old ram didn't work with the new PC... Anyway Thank you both for helping me with this weird issue...

Solution