Memory Manufacturers Merge to Save Selves

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
AS long as there is international competition (and their own market is NOT the main consumer of their own DRAM, than I don't see a problem with this.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
While the $23.6 billion computer memory industry struggles to stay afloat

k.

I don't think the RAM industry is going to leave us anytime soon (the larger companies anyway)

The demand for RAM supplies should increase if it hasn't already.

We are seeing more users installing larger quantities of ram. Quantities that would have been deemed useless a couple years ago, but with the increasing popularity of 64 bit operating systems and windows7 around the corner there will be a lot of RAM upgrades and purchases.

DD3 will quickly become the new standard as AMD and Intel have both chosen the technology for their new platforms. So, there will be an increased demand for ram chips for the ddr2 to ddr3 switch.

We are also seeing a lot more SSD devices hit the market too.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
For the AMD platform it doesn't make much sense to pay more for DDR3 when the performance is almost the same as DDR2. Eventually over time DDR3 will be cheaper but for now the masses are buying up alot of DDR2 due to low cost.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I kinda fail to see the point in these stupidly cheap prices for ddr2 if the companies are actually making a loss on them?

Anyway, I'll be interesting to see the outcome of this merger. If micron would join in, I'd imagine the new company would be a serious contender on the marked. Those makes already in the collective focus on value memory, which is what samsung does too. Micron however has experience with performance chips, so if they'd lend a hand, this new company could compete with samsung in the value sector, and possibly outdo the rest in the performance segment (due to possible quantity). Just my hopes, but could be cool to have a serious player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS