Question Memory modules confusion

finwizz

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
Need to finalise the options and for occasional home video editing and general use, which memory option is better? 16Gb vs 32Gb.

2 x 8GB 3200 14CL or

2 x 16Gb 3200 16CL.

I prefer to stick to 2 modules rarther than 4.

This will be on Croasshair VII motherboard and Ryzen 2700X CPU, be Quiet Dark base 900 pro rev. 2 case, be quiet cooler and PSU as well.

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
If money isn't an issue, get the 32GB. Differences in CL make little difference. Between 14CL and 16CL is 1.25 nanoseconds (at full 3200 MHz). If you want to save some money (and have very slightly faster RAM latency), 16GB is enough RAM for most uses. More RAM would definitely help for video editing, though.

finwizz

Reputable
Mar 3, 2019
If money isn't an issue, get the 32GB. Differences in CL make little difference. Between 14CL and 16CL is 1.25 nanoseconds (at full 3200 MHz). If you want to save some money (and have very slightly faster RAM latency), 16GB is enough RAM for most uses. More RAM would definitely help for video editing, though.

Appreciated. I cannot find the current QVL for the Asus crosshair MB. Their website seems to have a six month old list. Is it normally safe to go with memory manufacturer configurator?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Their website seems to have a six month old list. Is it normally safe to go with memory manufacturer configurator?

It is usually perfectly safe. Every QVL will be out of date after first release - the amount of new RAM models released are so vast that it doesn't make sense to keep testing new models and updating the QVL, as it would just be too time consuming and make a QVL that is extortionately long.

Stick to reputable brands and you should be fine.

It would, then, be helpful to the consumer if testing methodology and result data were published in parallel with the simple recommendations that are published.
I do realize that the vast majority of the public just want a list of what passes; however, in light of the variances between your approved list and that published by MSI, the more deliberate among us would probably much prefer a more complete data set.