Memory not in motherboard's supported list

jonnyberthiaume

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'm about to buy the Asrock P55, but 1 click away from ordering I realize I should check the memory support list of the board.

Badly, the G.Skill RAM I wanted (F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH) isn't there (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231276). What I can see though, is that his little brothers are supported (F3-10666CL8D-4GBRH and F3-10666CL9D-4GBRH). So the basic difference between the RAM I want is a latency CAS 7 and his supported brothers which are respectively CAS 8 and CAS 9.

So my question is, what happen when I put an unofficially supported RAM into a board? Does it work? Should I stick to CAS 8 or I can settle for CAS 7?

Solution
So my question is, what happen when I put an unofficially supported RAM into a board? Does it work?

The MB Mfg. can not possibly test every release of every RAM available to consumers. If the G. Skill has the same voltage, speed and timings of other RAM on the support list, then chances are good it will work. If you really believe the RAM will be a problem running on a P55 chipset, email G. Skill and ask specifically if the RAM will work in the MB.
So my question is, what happen when I put an unofficially supported RAM into a board? Does it work?

The MB Mfg. can not possibly test every release of every RAM available to consumers. If the G. Skill has the same voltage, speed and timings of other RAM on the support list, then chances are good it will work. If you really believe the RAM will be a problem running on a P55 chipset, email G. Skill and ask specifically if the RAM will work in the MB.

Solution