Question Memory not recognized in DIMMB1 and DIMMB2.

Aug 30, 2020
My first build is using an MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus mobo. I have 2x 16G Vengeance RGB Pro memory in DIMMS slots 2 and 4 (DIMMA2 and DIMMB2). I could power up but could not boot. EZ LED diagnostics were flashing for both "CPU is not detected or fail" and "DRAM is not detected or fail."

After many other checks, I removed the memory from DIMMB2 and successfully booted with only one 16G card in DIMMA2. I swapped DIMMs and it still worked (the other card worked in DIMMA2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3l3zlftifylg1rz/20200830_095504-Z490_with_one_mem_removed.jpg?dl=0

Next I put both cards in A1 and A2 (slots 1 and 2). It booted, but warned that it was not the optimal memory configuration.

No combo of memory using only DIMMB1 and DIMMB2 or both worked.

Do I have a bad board? Any suggestions? This is my first time through, so I may be overlooking something obvious.

My first build is using an MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus mobo. I have 2x 16G Vengeance RGB Pro memory in DIMMS slots 2 and 4 (DIMMA2 and DIMMB2). I could power up but could not boot. EZ LED diagnostics were flashing for both "CPU is not detected or fail" and "DRAM is not detected or fail."

After many other checks, I removed the memory from DIMMB2 and successfully booted with only one 16G card in DIMMA2. I swapped DIMMs and it still worked (the other card worked in DIMMA2.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3l3zlftifylg1rz/20200830_095504-Z490_with_one_mem_removed.jpg?dl=0

Next I put both cards in A1 and A2 (slots 1 and 2). It booted, but warned that it was not the optimal memory configuration.

No combo of memory using only DIMMB1 and DIMMB2 or both worked.

Do I have a bad board? Any suggestions? This is my first time through, so I may be overlooking something obvious.
What does you manual say about RAM DIMM placements ?
It's a genuine question as MSI support website is down and therefore I have no access to the manual

Reactions: Howard525
Aug 30, 2020
Page 28 of the manual:
Always insert memory modules in the DIMMA2 slot first

As I understand the manual, if there is no DIMM in A2, it's not going to work

You are right. I started out with memory in DIMMA2 and DIMMB2, the preferred configuration for two cards. It would not boot. When I removed a card from DIMMB2 (leaving 16G of memory, all in DIMMA2) I was able to boot, regardless of which of my two cards I pout into the DIMMA2 slot. (In other words, both memory cards are good).

With Memory in DIMMA2, I can boot with a second card in the (non-optimal) DIMMA1 slot. That is the only configuration that works with both 16G cards. I tried the other combinations just for completeness.

My question remains, is there something other than a bad board that might leave me unable to access memory in DIMMB1 or DIMMB2? The MSI download site is down, so I have not been able to try updating the BIOS, though that seems like it might be a long shot.

Thanks again for your help.

Aug 30, 2020
I just updated to the latest BIOS. The release notes mentioned "Improved memory compatibility," but I still can only access one memory card. It was definitely worth trying, but it did not work. Any other ideas?

Sep 14, 2020
I am having a similar issue with my Z490 Gaming Wifi board. I'm using G.Skill Ripjaw 2x16 GB, and this RAM is listed as compatible on G.Skill's website. Checked CPU socket, all is fine there. The sticks work fine installed to both the A1/A2 slots, but trying A2/B2 results in a DIMM error code on the motherboard. The RAM is clocked at 3200mhz and frankly I'm not having any practical problems with performance, but it's very irritating. I have not flashed the BIOS to the newest version, only because I've had traumatic experiences doing that in the past (and otherwise the computer works perfectly fine).

philemac

Reputable
Nov 22, 2018
You are right. I started out with memory in DIMMA2 and DIMMB2, the preferred configuration for two cards. It would not boot. When I removed a card from DIMMB2 (leaving 16G of memory, all in DIMMA2) I was able to boot, regardless of which of my two cards I pout into the DIMMA2 slot. (In other words, both memory cards are good).

With Memory in DIMMA2, I can boot with a second card in the (non-optimal) DIMMA1 slot. That is the only configuration that works with both 16G cards. I tried the other combinations just for completeness.

My question remains, is there something other than a bad board that might leave me unable to access memory in DIMMB1 or DIMMB2? The MSI download site is down, so I have not been able to try updating the BIOS, though that seems like it might be a long shot.

Thanks again for your help.
I have the same issue

Oct 24, 2020
I experienced something very similar after switching to a new CPU cooler. For me, the solution simply was to reseat the CPU. I also checked for bent pins and cleaned any excess thermal paste that might have gotten near any pins.

TRENDING THREADS