[SOLVED] Memory not running at full speed—unstable

Oct 1, 2020
So I just bought a second kit of Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb, 3200mhz memory. 32gigs, 4 sticks in total. I’m not able to run it at full speed. Anything above 2800mhz becomes unstable, not passing a stress test in prime95, and occasionally blue screening.

I have tried both kits separately, both working at 3200mhz individually (16gb). I have tried every dimm configuration(in the right channels) with both kits. I have tried XMP, every voltage between 1.2-1.5 (1.21, 1.22 etc). I can only pass prime95 with a single kit at a time at 3200, or clocked below 2800 with both kits. I would really like to be able to use the extra 400mhz as I am an animator, and could really utilize it. i would love to know why anything above 2800 is unstable with 32 gigs, but 3200 is stable with 16 gigs.

I have:
-MSI Gaming Pro Carbon
-i7-9700k (clocked to 4.9ghz)
-850W Corsair power supply
-EVGA 2060 Super
-2 kits of 2x8gb 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance ram

I have tried clocking the ram to 3200mhz with and without my cpu being overclocked, no possible configuration seems to work. I would really love some advice!

thank you:)

Solution
The instability is most likely caused by a mismatch. Your 3200MHz OC RAM may have exactly the same P/N and specs yet not play fair together. It's because OC RAM are beyond the JDEC standard and XMP profile will not work.

Mixing RAM kits is never a good idea as they may have differing Cas Latency. That's why kits are factory binned to match CL. If you can't get them to work together then return what you have for a single kit (2x16) and keep the others for spares.

Sometimes a slight loosening of primary timings or an increase in DRAM voltage does the trick. It's all trial and error with OC RAM.
The instability is most likely caused by a mismatch. Your 3200MHz OC RAM may have exactly the same P/N and specs yet not play fair together. It's because OC RAM are beyond the JDEC standard and XMP profile will not work.

Mixing RAM kits is never a good idea as they may have differing Cas Latency. That's why kits are factory binned to match CL. If you can't get them to work together then return what you have for a single kit (2x16) and keep the others for spares.

Sometimes a slight loosening of primary timings or an increase in DRAM voltage does the trick. It's all trial and error with OC RAM.

Solution