[SOLVED] memory on asrock b450m pro4

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
There have been several bios updates to the asrock b450m pro4 so you may want to check their website to make sure you have the best one for you. It's tricky because some of the latest updates are really geared toward the ryzen 3000 cpus. Even with the right bios the 1000 series cpu's are only guaranteed to 2666 Mhz memory. You might never get 3200Mhz to work. You could manually try lowering the Dram frequency and find some setting that works. 2993 seems like an achievable speed for a ryzen 1000 series cpu but it's really trial and error and each cpu/motherboard combo can yield different result. The programs Thaiphoon burner and Dram Calculator together can be used to manually clock your memory but it may be easier to return the ram and set your expectation a bit lower than 3200

alexsat

Honorable
Jan 16, 2016
There have been several bios updates to the asrock b450m pro4 so you may want to check their website to make sure you have the best one for you. It's tricky because some of the latest updates are really geared toward the ryzen 3000 cpus. Even with the right bios the 1000 series cpu's are only guaranteed to 2666 Mhz memory. You might never get 3200Mhz to work. You could manually try lowering the Dram frequency and find some setting that works. 2993 seems like an achievable speed for a ryzen 1000 series cpu but it's really trial and error and each cpu/motherboard combo can yield different result. The programs Thaiphoon burner and Dram Calculator together can be used to manually clock your memory but it may be easier to return the ram and set your expectation a bit lower than 3200
which plug 'n play motherboard and ram you recommend for that cpu (ryzen 5 1600 af) best budget available and thanks in advance.

alexsat

Honorable
Jan 16, 2016
The 1600af is basically a 2600, for all intents and purposes, as it is a 12nm part. That ram should work with that board, at 3200, no problem. I have use this kit, with multiple Asrock B450 boards, with the older actual 1st gen 1600 ae, and a 1600af, without issue, though.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb
i've never liked that tone in this forums *we are not psychic" i'm sure there are a lot of things that indeed you are , thanks

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
Well, they certainly don't test every stick of memory out there but the motherboard manufacturers do test and approve some kits. Here's the link to memory they've tested/recommend. Unfortunately your individual cpu still comes into play. Your cpu just might not go much beyond the official 2933(sorry I missed the af suffix on your 1600 cpu so it should oficcially support 2993). I've heard it referred to as the silicon lottery as to how far beyond that it will go.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M Pro4/index.asp#MemoryPR

Reactions: alexsat

logainofhades

Titan
I have yet to have an issue of a B450 board working at 3200 speeds, with the kit I listed. The reason so many gen 1 cpu's couldn't hit 3200, initially, was due to poor bios implementation, more than anything. B450 came with said improvements, from the start. These are the cpu/mb, that I have built, so far, using that kit. All ran at 3200 speeds, on both 1st and 2nd gen cpu's.

Asrock B450 Pro4, with a 1600ae
Asrock B450 Fatality ITX, with a 1600ae
Asrock B450 B450m AC, with a 1600af
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite, with a 2700x

alexsat

Honorable
Jan 16, 2016
Well, they certainly don't test every stick of memory out there but the motherboard manufacturers do test and approve some kits. Here's the link to memory they've tested/recommend. Unfortunately your individual cpu still comes into play. Your cpu just might not go much beyond the official 2933(sorry I missed the af suffix on your 1600 cpu so it should oficcially support 2993). I've heard it referred to as the silicon lottery as to how far beyond that it will go.

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M Pro4/index.asp#MemoryP

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450M Pro4/index.asp#MemoryPR
i ordered a ryzen 3 3200g to make sure on the motherboard and get rid of the graphic card in case the problem is the ram i was planning to build two systems anyway, i'll rma whatever part is damaged cause i received them last week.Checked for bent pins on the cpu and it's ok.

Last edited: