Discussion Memory overclock on a GTX 1050 to 4200MHz??

NightShade_7

Reputable
Nov 11, 2019
Perhaps look further into laptop GPU overclocking. I managed to crank up my laptop's gtx 1050 to 1960/4200mhz on core and memory clocks. This puts it to being equal or faster than the desktop 1050. And it still stays around 70 degrees at the worst. My CPU is a i5 7300hq which I undervolted and it stays at 80 degrees in the worst case scenario. This is in a legion y520 with its terrible cooling design. So the fx505 with a better cooling system and being cleaned up with max fan speeds should maintain similar temps if not cooler

So I stumbled upon a laptops vs desktops discussion in the comments section of a youtube video. This one guy claims that he was able to bump up his Memory clock upto 4200MHz on a mobile GTX1050 . Those temps seem pretty cool for a lenovo legion series laptop, but then i've only seen the older y50 with a gtx 860m. What I don't understand is that how he got that clock value. 4200MHz is insanely high to be the actual memory clock and it's lower than the officially specified effective clock speed so it can't be that either i think. So is this guy bluffing? Also he claims to have pushed the 1050 to about 600MHz above it's boost clock, and the upper limit on his GPU temp is 70C. Is that even possible?

that depends on which software reports it
technically 1750mhz should be default for 1050 (real frequency)
he did overclock it to 2100mhz
software can report it as ddr or gddr5...shouldnt really matter
for ddr is 2x effective speed (2x more bits per clock cycle)
for gddr5 is 4x effective speed (4x more bits per clock cycle)

reported speed shouldnt matter, as long ram bandwith is reported correctly