[SOLVED] Memory Percentage won't Decreasing

May 22, 2020
When i using my laptop for a while, the memory usage keep increasing until it reach 95%. So what i did is go to the task manager and see how many memory percentage that i use in User tab, in there i saw my User is using 75% of memory so close all the app that using so much memory like google chrome(its using 35%) and others. But when i end task a few apps, the memory percentage isnt decreasing at all, its still in 95%. When i go to the User tab, i saw that my User memory usage is decreasing at 35% but the total memory usage still at 95%. Is it memory leaking or what, please hep.

Solution
Not so fine in my opinion.
You will have to reinstall all of your apps.
Past that, a laptop may have unique drivers for the keyboard and graphics.
They may be hard to find or perhaps not compatible with a different version of the OS.
Laptops usually have a factory reset option.
It will reset your laptop to original setup from a hidden and protected area on the drive.
That would be preferable to a windows clean install.

Find the cause of the current problem.

Start by checking for malware or a virus.

Next, do a clean boot of windows.
Normally, windows reads a simple file with the boot image from the last successful boot.
What you want is to power off completely and bypass the fast boot file.
There is a complicated method via settings...
When you close a program, it may not get closed completely. It may go into suspended state.
This way, when you open the same program next time, it starts up very fast.
Either end suspended programs manually or reboot your pc.

Best would be installing more ram into your pc though.

May 22, 2020
When you close a program, it may not get closed completely. It may go into suspended state.
This way, when you open the same program next time, it starts up very fast.
Either end suspended programs manually or reboot your pc.

Best would be installing more ram into your pc though.
i have 16 gb of ram. and i just noticed that when im opening apps such as chrome, discord, intel XTU, line, and playing games like Rainbow six. The memory usage precentage keep increasing, at the begining its only use like 50-70%(8-10 gb), but time after time, the memory percentage keep rising up slowly(like two hours when im playing games) until it reach like 95%+ the laptop start making problem like the app auto shut down. Now i only can playing game for two hours before i have to restart the laptop again.

May 22, 2020
Windows manages ram well.
It always keeps some available.
Unused code is kept in ram in anticipation of possible reuse.
That is good.
A true ram shortage will show up in task manager as a hard fault page rate that is more than zero.

well, this thing just happening recently, its never happen before, its normal to ram usage keep increasing?

and i check the monitoring, its say that MsMpEng had hard fault page at around 120?

and its a picture of my ram usage keep increasing

and its what i open while monitoring the increasing.

May 22, 2020
What might have changed since all was well?
Chrome is a notorious ram user.
Possibly some app has a ram leak.
Possibly Windows has pushed out a less than optimum update.
Consider using system restore to reset back to when all was well.

Okay so i just restore the system back to the earliest setting that available, and now i just realize that in the user tab, i see that User using only 870MB of memory(the display output changing from percentage to number of usage), but the total memory percentage is at 89%. Is there something i miss or what?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
How long have you had Windows 10 installed on your PC ?
I personally recommend that you back up any/all personal files (pictures/favorites/documents, etc) and do a clean installation of Windows at least once a year.
That will ensure that any left over settings/registry settings/drivers from programs you have installed/uninstalled over the last year aren't slowing down your PC.

aakarshan

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2013
Do this following :

Boot your Laptop in Safe Mode.

Now see if there is still abnormal RAM usage present in your Laptop.

If no then, open task manager, Click on the startup and Disable everything you see as Enabled now restart and boot into your Laptop and see.

May 22, 2020
How long have you had Windows 10 installed on your PC ?
I personally recommend that you back up any/all personal files (pictures/favorites/documents, etc) and do a clean installation of Windows at least once a year.
That will ensure that any left over settings/registry settings/drivers from programs you have installed/uninstalled over the last year aren't slowing down your PC.
Is it fine to do a clean installation on my laptop?

They may be hard to find or perhaps not compatible with a different version of the OS.
It will reset your laptop to original setup from a hidden and protected area on the drive.

Normally, windows reads a simple file with the boot image from the last successful boot.
There is a complicated method via settings, but I have found that if you hold down the shift key while hitting the power off button, you can power off completely.
You should be able to enter the bios from a full power off.
When windows boots next, it will reload all of the individual components.

Next, look at the running apps and uninstall the most suspicious ones. It perhaps has a memory leak.

Solution
May 22, 2020

There is a complicated method via settings, but I have found that if you hold down the shift key while hitting the power off button, you can power off completely.
You should be able to enter the bios from a full power off.
When windows boots next, it will reload all of the individual components.

Next, look at the running apps and uninstall the most suspicious ones. It perhaps has a memory leak.
late update, i just reset my laptop 2 days ago, and so far the problem is gone, i guess theres some memory leak on my software or driver but i dont know which one is, so anyway thank you for the help

Reactions: DMAN999