Memory prices going/gone up due to China fire - should i add more from 12GB?

jerrolds

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Currently have 2x2 and 2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz with my i7 2500k@4.7Ghz - i havent been following memory prices lately but i heard about the factory fire in China a few weeks ago..

I think some retailers havent raised prices up that much yet (unless $130 for 2x8GB 1833mhz is a lot?) - wondering if i should grab another 16GB, and end up with 24GB overall.

Windows 8 & normal desktop use and gaming. I dont really develop at home, although might be doing mobile development with VS2012 once in awhile

Solution
Ask yourself whether you would really need the extra RAM? My guess is that for your intended purposes probably not, so that's almost a waste of money. As far as prices rising yes, this will temporarily set them back but like everything else, it will eventually drop in price. Since DDR4 is coming out later this year and will start to become commonplace in 2014 and even into 2015, the cost of DDR will likely start to plummet.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Ask yourself whether you would really need the extra RAM? My guess is that for your intended purposes probably not, so that's almost a waste of money. As far as prices rising yes, this will temporarily set them back but like everything else, it will eventually drop in price. Since DDR4 is coming out later this year and will start to become commonplace in 2014 and even into 2015, the cost of DDR will likely start to plummet.

Solution