News Memory Pricing Is Falling the Fastest it has Since 2011

abryant

Asst. Managing Editor
Staff member
May 16, 2016
DRAMeXchange reported that DRAM prices in the current quarter dropped nearly 30 percent, which it said is the "sharpest decline in a single season since 2011. Read more here.
shutterstock_715844950.jpg

NATHANIEL MOTT
@nathanielmott

Nathaniel Mott is a Contributing Writer for Tom's Hardware US. He covers software and hardware component news.

sirocu

Prominent
Oct 21, 2018
I’ve found that the price of DRAM on Neweggs is getting higher. Why is it counter to this news?

InvalidError

Titan
All price drops will be not worth attention, until 8gb ddr4 price once more will be 25$.
I don't want that to happen: every time the price of DRAM drops below manufacturing costs like that, one or more memory manufacturers go bankrupt and then prices rebound to eye-watering highs. The DRAM price collapse from 2012 took out Elpida which got bought out of bankruptcy by Micron and almost took out Hynix too which got saved by the SK Group, then DDR3 prices shot up from ~$80/16GB to $200+. There used to be 20+ DRAM manufacturers, now we're down to only three major players. The market can't really afford to lose any more.

hannibal

Distinguished
Yep! We don`t need having less ram manufacturers!
The ddr5 will put the prices upp again! But ddr4 can be cheaper for a while. Most likely 2020 the prices start to Rice again when Intel gets it 10nm out.

I haven't noticed much of any price drop, but I have noticed all the new ads now listed on the forms, I guess that was the "improvement" more ads we have to ignore now even in the form sections.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
@Tanyac the fact that they're still more expensive that they were 2 years ago doesn't say anything about current price trends. Also, even if pricing is trending down doesn't mean every kit is going to be getting cheaper. If you look at the price history for some kits on PCPartPicker Aus there is a clear downward trend.

Last edited: