Question memory problem

stew198269

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
hey guys so im having a problem with memory (ram) dual mode i have 4 dim slots on the motherboard and can only run my 2 x 8gb in single channel or i get beeps and system wont start. now i did some looking around before i posted on here and even read on here about the problem but i feel the time is now to post.
so i found that people were saying it could be 1 of 3 things wrong with a system when getting this error im getting which is faulty ram , faulty motherboard or faulty cpu so i went ahead and brought some new ram another 2x8gb of different ram just to make sure and its still the same when trying to put them in dual channel.
the system still boots in single!
so with this ive ruled out that its the ram as its doing the same again. ive reseated the heatsink just in case i had it on to tight and still the same get beeps and system wont start in dual mode. (still runs in single!).
so my question is it can only be on of 2 now the motherboard or cpu. now if the cpu was faulty would the system still boot etc...? is it worth me getting a new motherboard or am i really not going to notice that much of a difference in dual mode to even worry about?

system specs as follows..
• Windows 10 64bit
• Intel i7 6700k @4.6ghz
• gigabyte z170 gaming k3
• Ram DDR4 16gb - Hyper X predator 3200mhz
• Nvidia gtx - 1080 8gb @1900mhz
• Psu ocz - fatality 850w
• Crucial MX500 SSD
• Samsung PM961 m.2 256gb
• 6tb HDD storage
• Case - antec 1100

cheers for any help

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
What is the motherboard?

Maybe one of the RAM slots is faulty and when you insert modules according to the dual mode you populate that faulty slot and when you insert according to single mode setup you avoid that?

In that case if you can single out that slot, populate it a single RAM module and if the system fails to boot that slot is most probably faulty.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You tried the slots with a single module right? You didn't change that one and kept testing all slots with that single RAM stick ? Did you also try the other module in all slots?

Are you populating the slots according to the motherboard's manual? Although if the manual doesn't specify that you have to stick to a specific slot for single-module operation you can put it in any slot.

For dual-mode you need to populate slots as specified by manufacturer. On some boards you have to stick to one color for dual channel mode and in some it's the same color.

wont work only seems to boot the system in 3 and 4 dimm slot

This ^^^ is for the one/single module I told you to alternate between all slots? Does it boot with one stick in those two slots? Or two RAM sticks/modules in 3 and 4?

stew198269

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
so my ram slots go black red black red ill call them 1/2/3/4

1/3 being black
2/4 being red

ive tried all my ram sticks in all slots as single sticks from slot 1 to 4. slots 1 and 2 which is black and red closest to the cpu socket crash the system where as slots 3 and 4 boot the system but these aint dual dims there red and black so single channel.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
so my ram slots go black red black red ill call them 1/2/3/4

1/3 being black
2/4 being red

ive tried all my ram sticks in all slots as single sticks from slot 1 to 4. slots 1 and 2 which is black and red closest to the cpu socket crash the system where as slots 3 and 4 boot the system but these aint dual dims there red and black so single channel.

That board GA-Z170-Gaming K3 has two revisions 1 and 1.1. However, on both of the the slots are from CPU 4 2 3 1.

Slots 4 and 3 are black and slots 2 and 1 are red.

The manuals for both revisions say that for two-module operation in dual-channel mode with two RAM modules/sticks you should populate 4-3 or 2-1. That is both sticks should be either in black or red.

stew198269

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
ok i didnt no the order of the numbers but from what u said there from CPU 4 2 3 1.
4 and 2 crash 3 and 1 which is a black and red slot so single channel does boot.
so with 4 and 2 making the sytem beep and not run would this mean the motherboard is f**ked?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Again, for two-modules in dual-channel they should be both either in black or in red. Then again if 4-2 doesn't even boot in single-channel mode and beeps it might be a motherboard issue.

However, Calvin7 has a valid point.

Is this a new build? I mean has it been like this from scratch or have you bought these RAM modules the 2x8 recently to replace old RAM and all this started?

If it has been like this from the get go CPU socket pins might have been bent during installation of the CPU or even prior to that. I suggest taking the CPU out carefully and inspecting the socket for bent pins. You can also take pictures, upload somewhere and link here so that other people and I can have a look at the CPU socket pins.

stew198269

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
my system is about 3 years old now they use to run in dual when i first got it but i think i was cleaning out the system at some point and when i put it all back together it wouldnt work but could only get it to work in single channel so just left it (few years). i thought it was the ram that was crap so ordered some new one yesterday and fitted them today only to find its still doing the same. if i remember right when i put the cpu in it sounded like there was a crunch.
this was the first time putting an intel build together coming from a long life of AMD which has pins on the cpu.
i prob wont get a chance today to open my computer back up but ill try tomorrow