Mar 3, 2019
I recently replaced the motherboard and cpu in a computer. The ram from the old combo worked fine in the new combo. Then I tried upgrading the ram from 1x8gb 2400mhz vengeance lpx to a 2x8gb 3000mhz vengeance lpx kit. The computer wouldn't post with both sticks. I tried one stick and it didn't post, but the other stick did post. So I put the old stick in so I could replace the new kit. Then the old stick wouldn't post. So I grabbed 1x8gb of Ripjaws V 2400 from another pc and it posted fine. Then I got the new kit in and tried again, but it still wouldn't post. So I put the Ripjaws back in, and it wouldn't post. I have one stick left that I can try if needed.

The old combo was an i3 6100 and msi h110m gaming mobo. The new is a ryzen 3 2200g with an asrock a320m-hdv mobo.

I tried resetting the cmos using the battery and the jumper. Is there maybe a standoff causing a short?

compprob237

Distinguished
I recently replaced the motherboard and cpu in a computer. The ram from the old combo worked fine in the new combo. Then I tried upgrading the ram from 1x8gb 2400mhz vengeance lpx to a 2x8gb 3000mhz vengeance lpx kit. The computer wouldn't post with both sticks. I tried one stick and it didn't post, but the other stick did post. So I put the old stick in so I could replace the new kit. Then the old stick wouldn't post. So I grabbed 1x8gb of Ripjaws V 2400 from another pc and it posted fine. Then I got the new kit in and tried again, but it still wouldn't post. So I put the Ripjaws back in, and it wouldn't post. I have one stick left that I can try if needed.

The old combo was an i3 6100 and msi h110m gaming mobo. The new is a ryzen 3 2200g with an asrock a320m-hdv mobo.

I tried resetting the cmos using the battery and the jumper. Is there maybe a standoff causing a short?
Are you giving the motherboard time to "train" the RAM? It usually sits there thinking about starting up and maybe turns off and on a few times before finally starting up. If you're waiting for more than 5 minutes then it's not working.

First off update the BIOS like @rgd1101 suggested if you haven't already. Next, you'll want to test one stick at a time and make note of which ones work and which don't. If you have one that doesn't work then it may be an Integrated Memory Controller (IMC)/RAM voltage issue requiring a manual voltage input. I've had this happen to me with older systems and it took a bit of voltage (This is DDR3, 1.5v -> 1.56v) before it behaved. After testing individually and trying to manually increase the IMC voltage (I don't know Ryzen's IMC voltage name) and/or RAM voltage you then start seeing if both sticks play nicely (assuming they all work). Process of elimination really. There's more to this testing but I'll leave it at this point for now. Once you enable X.M.P./DOCP for the memory you may have boot issues again and you might need to tweak the RAM/IMC voltage some more.

Mar 3, 2019
Are you giving the motherboard time to "train" the RAM? It usually sits there thinking about starting up and maybe turns off and on a few times before finally starting up. If you're waiting for more than 5 minutes then it's not working.

First off update the BIOS like @rgd1101 suggested if you haven't already. Next, you'll want to test one stick at a time and make note of which ones work and which don't. If you have one that doesn't work then it may be an Integrated Memory Controller (IMC)/RAM voltage issue requiring a manual voltage input. I've had this happen to me with older systems and it took a bit of voltage (This is DDR3, 1.5v -> 1.56v) before it behaved. After testing individually and trying to manually increase the IMC voltage (I don't know Ryzen's IMC voltage name) and/or RAM voltage you then start seeing if both sticks play nicely (assuming they all work). Process of elimination really. There's more to this testing but I'll leave it at this point for now. Once you enable X.M.P./DOCP for the memory you may have boot issues again and you might need to tweak the RAM/IMC voltage some more.
I gave it about 2 minutes for each stick. The sticks would work for one boot and then not work after that

compprob237

Distinguished
I gave it about 2 minutes for each stick. The sticks would work for one boot and then not work after that
Hm... I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet. Unfortunately, issues like this sometimes takes swapping parts around with a known-good system.
Do you have a friend/relative/acquaintance that you can try your RAM in their computer?
Have a spare PSU (or an aforementioned friend's PSU) you can borrow to eliminate it from the equation?
Did you try increasing the voltage to the RAM or the CPU's IMC? I would try setting your DDR4's voltage to 1.35v as a starter. If that doesn't work then try increasing the CPU IMC voltage (I don't know what you should change here).

Mar 3, 2019
Hm... I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet. Unfortunately, issues like this sometimes takes swapping parts around with a known-good system.
Do you have a friend/relative/acquaintance that you can try your RAM in their computer?
Have a spare PSU (or an aforementioned friend's PSU) you can borrow to eliminate it from the equation?
Did you try increasing the voltage to the RAM or the CPU's IMC? I would try setting your DDR4's voltage to 1.35v as a starter. If that doesn't work then try increasing the CPU IMC voltage (I don't know what you should change here).
I have a known good pc to swap parts from, but haven't gotten around to it. I'll see if I can use my last known good stick of ram to get to the bios. I can't get to the bios with any of the other ram

Reactions: compprob237