Question Memory problems

Mar 22, 2019
Hi, I have been struggling to install my new corsair vengeance 32gb (4x8gb) ddr3 1600mhz memory.

Cpu: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core
Mobo: Asus sabertooth 990fx r2.0 (latest bios version)

Pc fails to boot when all 4 sticks are installed
Pc boots fine when 1 stick or 2 sticks are installed. But the bios reads the stick(s) as ''Total memory: 16368 MB (DDR3 1333MHz)''

Have I overlooked something? Could the sticks have an error?
Thx in advance!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
After testing each stick individually as suggested, the reason 2 come up as only 1333 mhz is you do have to configure them in the BIOS to run at 1600mhz.

Now that said 4 of them should allow the system to boot. If they all test out fine, install all 4 and then reset the CMOS. Then boot up and configure the BIOS. If you can't get to the BIOS then there is some other issue.

Often memory problems are caused on FX by a bent pin in the CPU socket.

new corsair vengeance 32gb (4x8gb) ddr3 1600mhz memory

PC fails to boot when all 4 sticks are installed - that sounds like someone using two 16GB (2x8GB) kits. I suggest listing part number or link to memory you have a question about.

You also need to set memory parameters in BIOS. You can set AI Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P. (page 3-9 of English motherboard manual)

DavidM012

Distinguished
The sabertooth has a mem ok! button. Shut down. & switch off mains and plug in all 4 dimms. Switch on mains. Do not press ON switch. Press MEM OK! button in top right corner of board. System will switch on and configure mem.

Though there are no 32gb kits on the qvl for it board supports 4x8 32gb max. My corsairs work perfectly but only using 2x8gb and it makes no difference either way if I press the mem ok! button or enter bios and configure manually. Never had any problem it fired up first time without needing the mem ok! button. Works in either a or b channel.

If you can still only start with 2 dimms:

Enter bios press f7 and navigate to ai tweaker page then on ai overclock tuner set d.o.c.p profile several items below that is memory frequency set to 1600mhz then press f10 save and exit. System will reboot. Load windows, shut down, switch off mains, add the other two dimms. Don't press the MEM OK! button if manually configured.

If not boot with 4x8gb there is another problem. It might be a bent pin or you simply got unlucky with a faulty dimm. It should work with pressing the MEM OK! button it does exactly the same thing as enabling d.o.c.p. manually.

If need to examine cpu for pins be careful removing heat sink! Twist to remove rather than pull. The thermal paste can stick it to cpu & pull it right out of the socket without lifting the retaining arm. That will bend your pins for sure.

Last edited: