[SOLVED] Memory QVL?

Jul 28, 2020
I'm planning to get a Ryzen 3700X and a ASRock B500 Taichi mobo. According to the website, the mobo is supposed to support memory up to DDR4 5200+ (OC). But the QVL doesn't list any memory above 3600, and only one of those. There actually aren't that many options at all. Why is that? I'd like to put 32GB of Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600 CL16 in. What am I not understanding?

Thanks for any help.

Solution
@RafeP
The QVL is just a list of memory that the MB maker has tested.

Your motherboard supports DDR4 5200, but remember that the MB has the easy job. It just moves the data from the memory controller (part of the CPU) to the memory sticks and back. In order to process data at that speed, the memory controller is working beyond specs (OC). If your desired memory speed is beyond what the memory controller can handle there will be errors and eventually the system will crash. That's not the motherboards fault, you pushed the memory controller too far.

Why does QVL not have more/higher speed memory listed?
  1. They had trouble getting higher speeds sticks to work consistently (remember, they are advertising that they have...
@RafeP

Your motherboard supports DDR4 5200, but remember that the MB has the easy job. It just moves the data from the memory controller (part of the CPU) to the memory sticks and back. In order to process data at that speed, the memory controller is working beyond specs (OC). If your desired memory speed is beyond what the memory controller can handle there will be errors and eventually the system will crash. That's not the motherboards fault, you pushed the memory controller too far.

1. They had trouble getting higher speeds sticks to work consistently (remember, they are advertising that they have tested this and it works).
  2. They didn't try that hard ... and that's ok. It's our jobs to take systems to the bleeding edge. The MB makes job is make quality hardware that works consistently and gives us options (like pushing our systems).

Solution
Jul 28, 2020
@RafeP

1. They had trouble getting higher speeds sticks to work consistently (remember, they are advertising that they have tested this and it works).
  2. They didn't try that hard ... and that's ok. It's our jobs to take systems to the bleeding edge. The MB makes job is make quality hardware that works consistently and gives us options (like pushing our systems).
Thank you for the reply. I think I knew that they can't test all memory sticks, but I was hoping to find more than one DDR4 3600 stick listed. I was curious because my research shows that the memory I was considering should do fine. I was just looking for some assurance, but I guess I'm not going to get that and I'll just have to hope for the best.