[SOLVED] Memory (RAM) not fully utilized Question

Corvinus313

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2012
Hi, so I just built my own pc and my ram is this
8FpshfE.png

its been a year now and I read this article that I might not be utilizing all my RAM's speed, I never touched anything as soon as I built my PC and booted it up I never did change any settings in the bios so I wanted to ask you guys if I indeed am not using my RAM's full power or that I am just paranoid.

Below is my CPU-Z (I understood nothing xD)
CKnwsdm.png

I need you guys expert opinion if all is normal or that I am not using my whole RAM power.

Thank you

Edit* I forgot, this is my CPU
1GpxNKN.png

Solution
I never did change any settings in the bios
Here is your problem, for high speed RAM to run at its rated speed, you have to configure it in the BIOS by enabling an XMP/DOCP or simple over clock profile (2 second job).

You can see from your first picture your RAM is running at: 1064 MHz. Now DDR means double data rate, so double 1064MHz means your RAM is running at 2128 (or roughly 2133 by JEDEC standard). Which means it's not running at 3000. You'd see it running around 1500 if it was configured correctly.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I never did change any settings in the bios
Here is your problem, for high speed RAM to run at its rated speed, you have to configure it in the BIOS by enabling an XMP/DOCP or simple over clock profile (2 second job).

You can see from your first picture your RAM is running at: 1064 MHz. Now DDR means double data rate, so double 1064MHz means your RAM is running at 2128 (or roughly 2133 by JEDEC standard). Which means it's not running at 3000. You'd see it running around 1500 if it was configured correctly.

Solution

Corvinus313

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2012

Hi, thank you for replying so it is true that I am not utilizing my whole RAM so I go to bios and just enable XMP? I don't need to do anything? Is it safe?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi, thank you for replying so it is true that I am not utilizing my whole RAM so I go to bios and just enable XMP? I don't need to do anything? Is it safe?
Perfectly safe - it's how everyone does it, and yes that's all you need to do. BIOS come with auto over-clocking features now for rated speeds.
Anyone you see with RAM above roughly 2600, will be doing this. It's standard practice.